E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Battery charge

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the rising cost of premium gas, I may be commuting regularly on 2 (BMW) wheels rather than 4. I know the e60 has tons of electronics and electrics sucking on the battery all the time. If I let my 545 sit for a couple of weeks or so, can I/should I hook up a trickle charger like a Battery Tender? I guess it would hook up on the jump-start points in the engine compartment, or can I charge through one of the power outlets, like I do my motorcycle? Any specific reason I shouldn't do this?

I know when my ED car came in, there was a sheet in the glove compartment that showed they checked the battery charge every so often.

Thanks

Pieter
Old 09-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

The BMW battery tender/charger connects to one of the cigarette lighter/power sockets. In the case of my 2006 530xiT, the tender must be pluged in when the ignition switch/key is turned on. I then can turn the switch off. If I plug it in after the ignition switch has been turned off, it does not charge.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

if you plan on housingt he car outside, stop by a car accessories store & pick up a solar panel charger. they are usually not larger than a A4/Letter sized sheet of paper & suction cup to the windhield, rear window, or sunroof and plug into your cigarette lighter outlet.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by slowdog' date='Sep 8 2005, 09:11 PM
With the rising cost of premium gas, I may be commuting regularly on 2 (BMW) wheels rather than 4. I know the e60 has tons of electronics and electrics sucking on the battery all the time. If I let my 545 sit for a couple of weeks or so, can I/should I hook up a trickle charger like a Battery Tender? I guess it would hook up on the jump-start points in the engine compartment, or can I charge through one of the power outlets, like I do my motorcycle? Any specific reason I shouldn't do this?

I know when my ED car came in, there was a sheet in the glove compartment that showed they checked the battery charge every so often.

Thanks

Pieter
[snapback]168355[/snapback]
Hello Pieter,

Welcome to the forum!

I would not worry about the battery nor the electrical system. I don't know where you live, but thrust my as an Nordic BMW freak: your car will work in all temperatures even after sitting a few weeks.

The electronics has improved over the years and the "standby" features in your E60 do not use that much capasity, that the car would not start.

But anyway, I have a DEFA system in my car. I plug it to 230 V and it heats up the engine thru a resistor. The system also has a 230 V plugin in the car where I have a 1600 W heater.
See for more info: http://www.defa.com