E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: Do you prefer your E60 Badged or Debadged?
Badged
55.61%
Debadged
44.39%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Badged or Debadged ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 9 2004, 11:17 AM
Once the "emmy" is out there will still be no reason to debadge a 545.
M5 is visibly a different car/league.

Debadging depends on where you are. In Germany the ppl would never come to you and say "great car", they would think "this a$$hat can afford a car like that and I can't" and then they would do damage to it. So in Germany debadging is very popular.
You underestimate some of the "debadgers" I've seen. Many of these posers will add the M5 bodywork (or some cheap imitation) and then re-badge the car as an M5. (They usually don't put the badge in the right place, BTW. )

It really sucks that the people in Germany are that childish when it comes to these things. Why do you think their jealousy resorts to physical damage? I just don't get it.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 9 2004, 05:28 PM
You underestimate some of the "debadgers" I've seen. Many of these posers will add the M5 bodywork (or some cheap imitation) and then re-badge the car as an M5. (They usually don't put the badge in the right place, BTW. )

It really sucks that the people in Germany are that childish when it comes to these things. Why do you think their jealousy resorts to physical damage? I just don't get it.
Yeah, I've seen some of those posers too, Rudy.

I don't know why the ppl over here react like that. I don't understand it either.
I mean, if you think about it... When you are jealous when you see a car in that price range... Putting some damage to it doesn't help, since ppl who can afford a car like that have a good insurance or simply enough money for the repair. So what is it giving you, when you do it ? Nothing at all. And you take the risk of getting caught...
I just pray to catch one of these a$$hats once in my life, then I put some severe damage to them .
Old 08-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Agree with Iceman, but unfortunately incidents were you get your car scratched
or damaged in some delibarate way exist and are rather common over here, especially on expensive models. Thank god I never had an incident with my E46 328i - but I can tell you that I was always careful where I parked...
Even so, a 545i with options costs here 107,000 euros, makes the 328i look like
kindergarden in the finance department...so I admit that a non-provocative attitude was part of my decision.
I mean, if you live around an area, commute to cities where the big bucks are...sure you kinda blend in... but where I live it's a good idea to be discreet
about your money...

As far as debadging a 545i, throw a M style bodykit and rebadge as an M5 is pretty
pathetic and hopefully no-one of such intellectuality exists on this forum...

A colleague of mine has an M3. Debadged. I mean you can see it's an M3. Badge or not. If you saw a Ferrari or Porsche does it really matter what model badge it's got? The thing outclasses everything around it...So the decision is a personal one
either way.

So generally speaking.. I see that generally in the States... making waves on paintwork with a key isn't common and therefore not really an issue. Basically it's down to personal taste in this case..right?

In any case disregarding the above 'problem' - I still like the car without the badge on it ( although would have kept it under ideal circumstances ) and will
be pleased 100%...besides I will know what I'm driving everytime I'm behind the
wheel (and so will other people behind me... ) -

M5 in The Netherlands ? Maybe a dozen will be sold...with options over 150,000 euros easily.

Take it easy !!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I had my 330Ci also debadged although it was the fastest ordinary model under the M3. I debadged my 530i also, not to pose like a 545i but because it looks nicer.. Same thing with the chrome grills, still not wanting to pose like a 545i but it just looks better..

I can see at the exhaust and brakediscs if it is a 545 or not so anyone else can see that too.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Right on !!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

For me, the "posers" pretty much ruin it for the people who debadge because they feel the car looks cleaner.

Yes, I can tell the real enchilada from the imposter, so when I see someone over here that debadges a 545, I know they're doing it for the "right" reasons. The problem is, you see many more debadged 525/530's and, unfortunately, since most of these people over here are debadging for the "wrong" reasons (posers), I usually assume that all of these people are doing it to try to fool the majority of onlookers. If that helps them to sleep at night, great. (Again, please understand that I'm not accusing anyone from this forum who debadges or being a poser. The ones that generally do these things aren't usually as "involved" as we are.)

That said, I actually have more respect for the people who don't debadge a 525 or 530 since I know they're being honest and aren't trying to present the car as something that it isn't.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 9 2004, 12:02 PM
I can see at the exhaust and brakediscs if it is a 545 or not so anyone else can see that too.
Good Point!! If you debage to "fool" other drivers.... more likely that not..that the people who actually notice and able to determine which model is it.. will know Exactly what car it is anyways..and you only actually trick the people who dont care or only look at that BMW Marque...................................
Old 08-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by Initialdl' date='Aug 9 2004, 12:39 PM
[quote name='530E60NL' date='Aug 9 2004, 12:02 PM']

Good Point!! If you debage to "fool" other drivers.... more likely that not..that the people who actually notice and able to determine which model is it.. will know Exactly what car it is anyways..and you only actually trick the people who dont care or only look at that BMW Marque................................... [/quote]
That is how I feel about it too and even a guy with a 520i doing it for the right reasons should do it..
Old 08-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Senior Members

I debadged my 545 (and my audi 2.7T quattro before that) because I like the clean look. I've also found it's kind of funny to catch people walking around my car trying to figure out what it is!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Contributors

I think the question is, what is the point of having the type number at the back?

Quick Reply: Badged or Debadged ?