E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Auxilarry

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to add the aux input to use my Ipod on long driving trips. Will this installation disable my CD changer? Also, for those that had the aux input installed in a location other than the glovebox did the dealer charge extra?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by cocogigio' date='Sep 22 2005, 08:16 PM
I want to add the aux input to use my Ipod on long driving trips.? Will this installation disable my CD changer?? Also, for those that had the aux input installed in a location other than the glovebox did the dealer charge extra?
[snapback]173821[/snapback]
Does NOT disable any function of any configuration (CD changer or not, L7 or Not, Bus/Pro Radio, NAV or not).

Part 2 I cannot help u. Mine is in glove box and is convenient for my purposes.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:34 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

It doesn't disable the changer, and the cost of the installation depends on where you want to have it. If you want to have it in a different spot the labour might increase...
Old 09-23-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Glovebox is great location. When you park, you just put the ipod in the glovebox, wires and all. Out of sight.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:19 AM
Members

With aux input how do you power the iPod?

Other than being able to play through the system in the E60, what comes up on the screen?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:52 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by Bimmer06530i' date='Sep 23 2005, 08:19 AM
With aux input how do you power the iPod?

Other than being able to play through the system in the E60, what comes up on the screen?
[snapback]174016[/snapback]
Nothing. You just select AUX as the audio input. You can't control the iPod or anything like that (but then again, even on the BMW models where the iPod connector is available, you still can't even see song names or do anything beyond very basic playlist/song controls).

What the Auxiliary Audio Input gives you is simply a 1/8" stereo analog input jack to be able to hook up other audio devices, like an iPod, and have good audio quality (as opposed to the varying quality of devices like FM transmitters - some people love them, others can't stand them, others in certain metro areas can't really use them).

See this thread for an example of what it looks like.

If you also want to power the iPod, you can also get a cigarette lighter adapter that plugs into the standard iPod docking connector (an example shown in this thread), and you can get the Auxiliary Power Adapter for the glovebox flashlight charging connector (82 11 0 004 073). That way, you can do the audio input and the iPod power connector all in the glovebox. Here's the glovebox power adapter:
Attached Thumbnails Auxilarry-picture_1.jpg   Auxilarry-picture_2.jpg