E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aux Input installed but not working...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the dealer install the aux input when the car arrived..... after receiving the car at home, I tested it out and it doesn't work...

the aux shows up in the idrive, and the input jack is in the glove box..... but no audio comes out with aux selected and when connecting up the ipod.....

I made an appointment to get it fixed, but they can't get me in for a week.... since it's in idrive, I assume it's programmed ok, but maybe the plug wasn't put in the right slot?

Is this an easy mod that I can check myself? any special tools needed?

for any insight....
Old 04-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by FikseGTS' date='Apr 27 2005, 08:53 AM
I had the dealer install the aux input when the car arrived.....? after receiving the car at home, I tested it out and it doesn't work...

the aux shows up in the idrive, and the input jack is in the glove box.....? but no audio comes out? with aux selected and when connecting up the ipod.....

I made an appointment to get it fixed, but they can't get me in for a week....? since it's in idrive, I assume it's programmed ok, but maybe the plug wasn't put in the right slot?

for any insight....
[snapback]120780[/snapback]
An often found mistake was wiring reversed. Believe one of the SB instructions was incorrect and led to this issue. Many reported in forum. 99% corrected on return visit, 1% took 3 tries. Probably only two wires involved (u can find PDF on Aux Input elsewhere in forum w.wiring diagram). Since it is programmed maybe just reverse at jack.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

That PDF file here:

Although it is only two wires probably reversed, there are more than 2 wires in bundle so could be a little challenge
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AUX_IN_en.pdf (600.0 KB, 950 views)
Old 04-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Members

thanks... from the PDF it looks like a plug in procedure..... maybe plug was plugged into the wrong slot? or backwards?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Apr 27 2005, 09:20 AM
That PDF file here:

Although it is only two wires probably reversed, there are more than 2 wires in bundle so could be a little challenge
[snapback]120811[/snapback]
Ugh... so this PDF is incorrect but nobody knows where? I'm getting this part installed shortly and will be giving them this PDF. I'll have to wait there and insist that before they stitch the car back together again they let me come up and test the audio.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by FikseGTS' date='Apr 27 2005, 09:53 AM
I had the dealer install the aux input when the car arrived.....? after receiving the car at home, I tested it out and it doesn't work...

the aux shows up in the idrive, and the input jack is in the glove box.....? but no audio comes out? with aux selected and when connecting up the ipod.....

I made an appointment to get it fixed, but they can't get me in for a week....? since it's in idrive, I assume it's programmed ok, but maybe the plug wasn't put in the right slot?

for any insight....
Picking up my 2006 530i today or tomorrow. How much did the Dealer charge you for the aux input?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Members

I see now.... you are taking the cables out of the provided plug, and putting them into an existing plug.... there are 3 wires, left audio, right audio and ground....

does anyone know the proper installtion, wires to plug positions? and updated PDF?
Old 04-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by FikseGTS' date='Apr 27 2005, 09:53 AM

for any insight....
Picked up my 2006 530i today. Was quoted $300 for the Aux input. Does this sound fare?
Old 04-28-2005, 03:28 AM
Members

the part is $75...... the install sheet says it should take 1 hour..... so that seems high....
Old 04-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Kris Kimball' date='Apr 27 2005, 10:15 PM
[quote name='FikseGTS' date='Apr 27 2005, 09:53 AM']I had the dealer install the aux input when the car arrived.....? after receiving the car at home, I tested it out and it doesn't work...

for any insight....
Picked up my 2006 530i today. Was quoted $300 for the Aux input. Does this sound fare?
[snapback]121146[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, high. As FiskeGTS said, $75 for parts - labor has varied across the reports from low of ~ $90 to high of over $200, but average is closer to ~$100. I paid $300 total for Aux P&L plus phone cradle which was $130 so $170 for Aux P&L.

Quick Reply: Aux Input installed but not working...