E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AUX Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Well I jsut picked up my car from gettin the AUX installed.. I went to radio shack and picked up a standard male to male headphone jack wire... and my MP3 player is a Rio Carbon...

Heres the problem... when I plug the wire FULLY into the AUX adapter and into my MP3 player, it sounds like its skiping and actully really doesn;t even play... BUT when I pull the jack out a little bit from both the AUX and the player you can hear it but quality isn't so great... What am I missing amd I not allowed to fully plug in the wire and just have it 1/2 way in??? Is my Mp3 player garbage?? Do I need a better quality wire??? I dunno I need some help guys cause I fell like I jsut wasted $150...
Old 07-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Hamann5' date='Jul 2 2005, 08:38 AM
Well I jsut picked up my car from gettin the AUX installed.. I went to radio shack and picked up a standard male to male headphone jack wire... and my MP3 player is a Rio Carbon...

Heres the problem... when I plug the wire FULLY into the AUX adapter and into my MP3 player, it sounds like its skiping and actully really doesn;t even play... BUT when I pull the jack out a little bit from both the AUX and the player you can hear it but quality isn't so great... What am I missing amd I not allowed to fully plug in the wire and just have it 1/2 way in??? Is my Mp3 player garbage?? Do I need a better quality wire??? I dunno I need some help guys cause I fell like I jsut wasted $150...
[snapback]145163[/snapback]

Are you sure you bought a male to male jack stereo cable and not a mono one ?
Old 07-02-2005, 06:21 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by ricky' date='Jul 2 2005, 12:31 AM
[quote name='Hamann5' date='Jul 2 2005, 08:38 AM']Well I jsut picked up my car from gettin the AUX installed.. I went to radio shack and picked up a standard male to male headphone jack wire... and my MP3 player is a Rio Carbon...

[snapback]145163[/snapback]

Are you sure you bought a male to male jack stereo cable and not a mono one ?
[snapback]145170[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good point.

Here's the cable I'm using with my iPod--notice there are 3 conductors on the end of the plug (right, left, ground) separated by 2 black plastic rings:
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2719
Old 07-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Hmm, I have a Sony mini-disk player (not exactly the same as an iPOD, I know) and it has an internal setting that swithche the output jack from a low level for headphones to a high level for use as a line output. I believe that it changes both the output voltage levels and the output impedance. Does the iPOD have such a control and might that be part of the problem?

Good luck, Jon.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Members

I'm also using the monster cable. Here's my complete set up for AUX

- Monster iSplitter plugged into aux
- XM Commander, connected through "audio out" witha Monster cable
- iPod plugged in via Monster iCarCharger (which has audio out) and
Monster male-to-male cable

Everything works great!

I've also heard that audio quality from the headphone jack is just average.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:48 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by jacisner' date='Jul 2 2005, 09:38 AM
I'm also using the monster cable.? Here's my complete set up for AUX

- Monster iSplitter plugged into aux
- XM Commander, connected through "audio out" witha Monster cable
- iPod plugged in via Monster iCarCharger (which has audio out) and
? Monster male-to-male cable

Everything works great!

I've also heard that audio quality from the headphone jack is just average.
[snapback]145236[/snapback]
I also went with the Monster iCarCharger, since it has a direct line out. With the iPod you definitely don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound. Here's a thread with my iPod hardwire install instructions & pix:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430
Old 07-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' date='Jul 2 2005, 09:21 AM
Hmm, I have a Sony mini-disk player (not exactly the same as an iPOD, I know) and it has an internal setting that swithche the output jack from a low level for headphones to a high level for use as a line output.? I believe that it changes both the output voltage levels and the output impedance.? Does the iPOD have such a control and might that be part of the problem?

Good luck, Jon.
[snapback]145233[/snapback]
Oops, I just realized you do not have an iPOD, but a Rio instead... same comments apply, however...
Old 07-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Members

I did a little digging on the Rio Carbon... it looks like to get a real "line out" signal you need to use the dock... apparently the headphone jack is really just for headphones...
Old 07-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Originally Posted by ricky' date='Jul 2 2005, 03:31 AM
Are you sure you bought a male to male jack stereo? cable and not a mono one ?
[snapback]145170[/snapback]
Hey lol thanks for your help.. I checked and it was a mono cable.. I thought they would have been all stero wires so I jsut picked up the first I saw..
Old 07-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the mono cable sometime back, too. I took it back and compare with the other and found out that it's mono. It was a shame isn't it. Now we see that this forum is very helpful.