E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

autostarter for the 5 series

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 Audi S4

Originally Posted by CLD' post='687769' date='Oct 7 2008, 10:41 PM
I don't believe any car should be turned on and left idling to warm up. Turn that potential energy into kinetic and drive!
hmm, but most of my friends have it on their honda, toyota, lexus, and scions... havent heard them complain before
ill ask around and think it through thanks guys!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Senior Members

Hmm...So none of you guys have ice all over your cars in the winter? I usally get the car warmed up for at least 5+ min to defrost the windows as well as getting the oil in the car warm. My car is parked outside all the time in the winter and the leather seats are frozen solid and the i drive is slow due to the screen crystals being cold, all electrical is frozen and slow. Ex/ speaker, lights and controlls. So that being said I dont see it being OK to just get in your car and drive to warm it up. I have done it before, dont get me wrong. You can hear the stress on the engine, dosent want to switch gears and the engine ticking noise can be heard inside the cabin while driving. Their is no way that it would be better to get in your car and drive to warm up the car rather than idleing to warm up the car. So who dosent agee with me?
Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NextLevel530xi' post='687884' date='Oct 8 2008, 01:28 AM
Hmm...So none of you guys have ice all over your cars in the winter? I usally get the car warmed up for at least 5+ min to defrost the windows as well as getting the oil in the car warm. My car is parked outside all the time in the winter and the leather seats are frozen solid and the i drive is slow due to the screen crystals being cold, all electrical is frozen and slow. Ex/ speaker, lights and controlls. So that being said I dont see it being OK to just get in your car and drive to warm it up. I have done it before, dont get me wrong. You can hear the stress on the engine, dosent want to switch gears and the engine ticking noise can be heard inside the cabin while driving. Their is no way that it would be better to get in your car and drive to warm up the car rather than idleing to warm up the car. So who dosent agee with me?
Makes sense to me... Still debating if I should install it. Only worry that I have is electrical problems after the install... Bmw is known for that
Old 10-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Contributors

What solutions have you found? I'm interested as well. Not for any warm up reason or anything. Just want to get to an already running car with ac on, when i'm out in the hot weather of thailand.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I am also interested, though my dealership says a auto starter will void warranty because bmw does not recommend they say you don't need to warm the cars. they won't even sell me a block heater saying that they don't make one, the only thing they recommend basically a built in trickle charger that you plug in to make sure you always have full charge on your battery for those cold cranking amps.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

Being from Minnesota, and parking outside for work and sometimes at home (when my girlfriend beats me to the garage after work) I agree that an auto starter would be a great idea for this coming winter.
However.. there are a few features that I would like and since I don't know alot about what's on the market, what options are available I can't make a sound decision. Maybe there are some of you guys out there that can help out.

What I would like...
1) turns on car remotly (with some hella range so I can do this from my building at work)
2) turns on both rear and front defrosters
3) turns on driver seat heater and stearing wheel heater

Is there anything out there that will do all that?
I'm guessing no, but that would be my wish list for things to be on when I hit the switch for the remote start.

How much is a Trunk Monkey?
I bet that would be the best solution
Old 10-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by cleung' post='688284' date='Oct 8 2008, 06:53 PM
I am also interested, though my dealership says a auto starter will void warranty because bmw does not recommend they say you don't need to warm the cars. they won't even sell me a block heater saying that they don't make one, the only thing they recommend basically a built in trickle charger that you plug in to make sure you always have full charge on your battery for those cold cranking amps.
ThermoCall is a BMW product your dealer needs to go on a dealer training course. Ask Iceman he has this installed.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Is thermocall available in North America?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by Audi_Eatter' post='688324' date='Oct 8 2008, 11:40 AM
Being from Minnesota, and parking outside for work and sometimes at home (when my girlfriend beats me to the garage after work) I agree that an auto starter would be a great idea for this coming winter.
However.. there are a few features that I would like and since I don't know alot about what's on the market, what options are available I can't make a sound decision. Maybe there are some of you guys out there that can help out.

What I would like...
1) turns on car remotly (with some hella range so I can do this from my building at work)

I'm guessing no, but that would be my wish list for things to be on when I hit the switch for the remote start.

I dunno about trunk monkey, but midget works too
Old 10-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Audi_Eatter' post='688324' date='Oct 8 2008, 02:40 PM

What I would like...

well what I do know is that when u want to autostart your car, it will start off where u last left it, meaning in the summer if u don't want your car to be a oven, just simply turn the ac on before shutting off your car and in a couple of hours when u auto start your vehicle it will blast the ac same goes for the winter for heat

Quick Reply: autostarter for the 5 series