E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AutoSocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

So it seems that every bimmer in the UK with wide wheels tried to order the large size of AutoSock snow grips, in the hope of getting moving again. But with the sudden order they were all out of stock, so should be turning up soon now the snow has all melted ;-(

Did anybody get a set and try them in anger ? Any use ?

(I do plan to carry them in the winter in case of further snow)
Old 01-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Members

Bought a pair and they worked very well on summer tyres. Really needed a set at the front as well (arrived today) as steering and braking was still not good. not sure how long they will last, but worth it to get onto main, gritted roads. Winter tyres are the answer, and will be buying some soon.

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='1091927' date='Jan 16 2010, 01:42 PM
So it seems that every bimmer in the UK with wide wheels tried to order the large size of AutoSock snow grips, in the hope of getting moving again. But with the sudden order they were all out of stock, so should be turning up soon now the snow has all melted ;-(

Did anybody get a set and try them in anger ? Any use ?

(I do plan to carry them in the winter in case of further snow)
Old 01-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how long do they last?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

I have a pair but I haven't really tried them yet. I 've read a few articles and they should be quite OK as a replacement for snow chains. There is a maximum speed of 50 or 70 km/h I think.

We use winter tyres with or without studs in Sweden. As I will be travelling through Germany where studs are not allowed, I have studless winter tyres on my car. In some parts of Germany you are required to have snow chains on board. But the autosocks will also be ok.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

As far as I can tell so far, they're too new to be 'approved' where snow cahins are a legal requirement. From what I've read, if chains are a legal requirement, then it has to be chains.

I guess this may change when they're a bit more tried and tested.

I'm in the dilemma at the minute of deciding what to go for as we're driving down the Alps later this year. My main concern is getting something that can be fitted while the car is on the ground. Most require the ability to be able to get both forearms over the tyre somehow and the clearance is pretty tight on the rears. (Or maybe I just have meaty forearms.)

Think I'll end up getting chains, despite the claims, I can't see the socks having the longevity of chains + there's the issue of legality.