E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Auto Trans with Exhaust/muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

I am not usually a big fan of a car that is an automatic and has a performance exhaust/muffler on it. The sound is just not as nice as a car thats a stick/manual, dont you agree?? Now, I have a 545 auto trans and just had to change the muffler. So I got hooked up from my boys in Viriginia a few days ago when I was in town, shout out to J-J and Ben. Got it installed and sounds great but only in maual mode. I just cant stand that sound when its in Drive.

How do you other guys drive it, always manual or what? And will I wreck the tranny with me driving it manual mode and down shifting all the time? Can you fellaz help me out here. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a joke? the tranny has NO effect on what an exhaust sounds like my friend. Engine produce exhaust gases, the exhaust pipes are tuned based on diameter and shape combined with mufflers of specific shape/material that lead to exhaust sound. You are probably hearing drone in D because you are not getting enough exhaust shooting out to hear the "good" sound, you are just hearing the drone of an engine with a less restrictive muffler.

Flooring your car in D or DS will give you an identical sound to someone with a manual 6
Old 09-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a joke? the tranny has NO effect on what an exhaust sounds like my friend. Engine produce exhaust gases, the exhaust pipes are tuned based on diameter and shape combined with mufflers of specific shape/material that lead to exhaust sound. You are probably hearing drone in D because you are not getting enough exhaust shooting out to hear the "good" sound, you are just hearing the drone of an engine with a less restrictive muffler.

Flooring your car in D or DS will give you an identical sound to someone with a manual 6
Old 09-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Not a joke my friend! There is a difference in the way it sound due to the way it changes gears, either manual or auto. In a manual, there is a slight pause when gears are changed and in an auto, no pause at all.

But I do get your point in droning, thanks. Will be trying a couple of different things and seeing which one works. And your suggestion, "flooring it" sounds good to me!!! Cant go wrong with that........
Old 09-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 330I ZHP

There a different sound. Due to the Load of the Motor. (Converter Locking and Unlocking) Makes a Big Difference. So far on my 330i ZHP I haven't have any problems with it...Sounds Pretty Dam good.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

The split seconds when the engine revs up a little as you clutch makes a difference in sound I guess.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I always drive in Sport, and I installed a Resonance Cone, that did the trick!!
Old 09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the feedback fellas.... Yezzur, Driving it in Sport is way better, like the sound. Can someone pls clarify for me what an X pipe does, which one to get, and do I need to remove anything when it gets installed? Thanks again..
Old 09-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 330I ZHP

Originally Posted by suthurnbimmur' post='999734' date='Sep 5 2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback fellas.... Yezzur, Driving it in Sport is way better, like the sound. Can someone pls clarify for me what an X pipe does, which one to get, and do I need to remove anything when it gets installed? Thanks again..
X Pipe or H Pipe usually get Rid of any Rasp that you do not want and help out lowering the tone just a tad. IDK how much room you have under there but u might.

Anthony
Old 09-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I think about the same thing all the time. Its really annoying, I have sprint booster too. What is this resonance cone you talk about? I need to make mine quieter Its mostly thru the first 3 gears though

Quick Reply: Auto Trans with Exhaust/muffler