E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Auto-dim mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Thumbs up

Hey all!

My car was born w basic int./ext. mirrors (no SA430/431 option code) then I upgraded to full featured M5 mirror a while ago and recently upgraded the int. mirror that has compass, garage door opener & auto-dim.

I know I'm gonna need a retrofit wiring (on order) to feed power & LIN BUS signal from LCM into the int. mirror in order for the garage opener, compass & auto-dim to work properly.

What I'm wondering is after looking at the WDS diagram if I complete the additional LIN BUS signal wiring from the int. mirror to feed the Body Gateway Module will the auto-dim on my outside mirror simply work too?

Anybody know if the BGM may require re-programming?

Tkx!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I don't think your solution may work. The way the exterior mirror auto dims is as follows. The interior mirror puts a signal on the LIN BUS and that is picked up by the gateway module, who in turn passes that signal on the LIN BUS to the exterior mirror's ECU. The ECU then applies the required voltage to the mirrors to darken it. So unless you thought about all of this, its not exactly straightforward. The only way this will work is if your gateway module is already able to send that signal along to the exterior mirror or will it do so only after its programmed.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='834226' date='Apr 2 2009, 02:58 PM
Hey all!

My car was born w basic int./ext. mirrors (no SA430/431 option code) then I upgraded to full featured M5 mirror a while ago and recently upgraded the int. mirror that has compass, garage door opener & auto-dim.

I know I'm gonna need a retrofit wiring (on order) to feed power & LIN BUS signal from LCM into the int. mirror in order for the garage opener, compass & auto-dim to work properly.

What I'm wondering is after looking at the WDS diagram if I complete the additional LIN BUS signal wiring from the int. mirror to feed the Body Gateway Module will the auto-dim on my outside mirror simply work too?

Anybody know if the BGM may require re-programming?

Tkx!
I retrofit the E46 homelink/autodim mirror into my old E36 successfully, but did not get the side mirror to dim. If it works the same as that one did, all you need is +12V, ground, and the reverse sense wire (so the mirror undims when you put the car in reverse.) the homelink gets its power from the same +12V as the auto-dim.

good luck!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I think he is trying to dim the side mirrors.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Darn it... Yeah I kinda catch the drift on the signaling based on the WDS diagram but you are right the culprit will my BGM.

Now the tricky part is since I didn't have SA430/431 option code since the get go it'll probably never get turn on during any programming (probably the same case as the folding mirror) and I don't think it's simple turn on on the programming menu.

So my BGM will probably never send the dim signal to my side mirror when my int. mirror say so (maybe just ignore it)... I may need NCS edit to add SA430/431 option to my VO probably and that could be real tricky.

Tkx!