E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Audio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06
Default Audio Questions

I have Logic 7 and I am planning a small sound upgrade. I will be getting a pair of earthquakes, technic's harness, a 500 watt Zeus amp to power them and maybe the custom spacer they sell for the subs at the e90 forums

After doing a pretty good search I have heard conflicting reports on whether the other speakers will be able to cover the loss of stock woofers, which I have read are more mid than subwoofers. Is this true and does anyone know of direct fit door replacments to cover the missing sound?

My budget for all of this is at most $1k. Half of that will be taken up by the subs and amp. I don't want to spend more than this because I am extremely happy with the current sound but if I could get more bass for under a grand that would be great.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

It will be louder, but you won't gain much on the low end frequency if that's what you're trying to achieve. If you don't mind losing a bit of trunk space, just get an additional sub for the rear.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Thanks for the reply, but everything I have read says that the trunk is pretty well sealed and I don't have fold down seats. I also don't want to cut a hole into the trunk to hear the subs.

You say I wont gain much low end frequency, but it seems that the Earthquakes are a viable solution for those that want just a little more power. Did you do this and were you not satisfied with the results?

I know sound system preference varies greatly from person to person. I have read some people that think the Logic 7 sounds horrible and others think its the best ever, while others have said the BSW is a worthy upgrade and some say its a waste of money. Like I said earlier I believe my system sounds great as is, that's why I thinking they would make a difference.

Do you know anything about the sound changing significantly when replacing the stock woofers?
Old 09-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

I'm not bashing on the BSW and Earthquake upgrade, but I had a chance to listen to a friend's car with BSW upgrade in his M5 which originally had the L7 speakers. They are a bit louder and more crisp on the highs, but I wouldn't rush out to spend money on BSW if you already think the L7 sounds good.

As for the sub, he also upgraded to the Earthquake SWS-8 @2ohms and it hits a tad bit harder and louder compare to the stock subs, but nothing to really say "WOW!!!"

Like you mentioned, if you think the L7 system sounds good, then just be content and use the money else where. You're not really missing out on much. If I haven't heard it for myself, then I'll be curious and wondering about them just like you, but I still have the L7 system in my car, so I have a side-by-side comparison, and all I have to say is --- save your money for other things, unless you've done every possible mod and there isn't much more to do with your car, then go for it.

Last edited by Boost7; 09-09-2013 at 06:37 PM.