E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Audio build in my 550i

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We first off this is my first or second post so, thanks for welcoming to yalls wealth of knowledge, there is some cool stuff going on here and some dudes with some really nice rides.

I have had a hand full of 3s but this was my first 5 so i got the 06 550i (sorry but i HATE the new body style).

So far i did all the lil stuff.. AC window and trunk lips, black kidneys, carbon badges, H&R lowered, race filter coal delete and im on the 3rd set of halos trying to get some that look like i want w/o dropping $500 on those sick led rings.

So enough with the intro and on to the topic ... Audio...
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

The goal was to be invisible as possible while still going up with something that was as clean an obnoxious as possible.. so step one we dynomat extremed EVERYTHING that we ran into why working on it.. and then started with the subs since i knew that was gonna be the hardest part to get right in this car.

I started with a Rockford T215 on 1500w ported and tuned to 27hz

All this taught me was that i DIDNT want a 15 and that the trunk on this thing was too sound proofed too be able to have any kind of low end sound quality at a low enough volume to enjoy without removing the rear deck.

So after a cutoff wheel and an 11x33 hole was cut.. we ended up with 3 10s sealed firing into the cab against the rear glass on 450w rms each.

Next step is replacing all the front highs (dash/FT door/R door) with Addictive Audio 5.25 components.. and the rear deck with 6.5 co-axials.

The Higher end Addictive Audios sound alot like the focal 165as and in my opinion are a little warmer and carry mid tones a lil better.. where are the focals are a little brighter.

The last thing to do with be the underseat subs which im reading lots of different opinions on in here... and all opinions are appreciated on the best way to go about them.. id LIKE to run a paper cone full range speaker in that spot.. but im sure someone on here knows the possibility of that alot better than i do.

Heres some pics and videos.. the trim panel isnt on on the 10s obviously.. and i think the final version of the box is going to be a little more invisible because the amp and cap is behind this one and i have about 10 inches i can move it back .. if i move the amp to the spare tire well or.. well .. anywhere but the back of the seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC39GoZoMhI

This is with the 15 in it we decided NOT to use..

Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Members

More pics please... I'd love to hear more about what is involved with replacing the fronts with 5.25's and the rears with 6.5's when you get there....
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Pagemaster
More pics please... I'd love to hear more about what is involved with replacing the fronts with 5.25's and the rears with 6.5's when you get there....
Thanks!

Well i think the rears are gonna be easy.. the whole deck is basically cardboard so cutting the hole to make them fit isnt anything, so as long as they fit under the lil grills... itll work.. i havent pulled anything else apart yet.. but my installer is pretty confident.. so ill take lots of pics along the way.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Members

Sorry.. xmas and buying staggered 20s slowed me down a hair.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Members

Question. Why did you use a box at all for the 10's?

I mean you went through the trouble to cut the deck, should've gone Infinite baffle at that point and ditch that heavy anvil of a box and kept more trunk floor space.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

those 10s prolly require like .5-1.25 cubic feet sealed. if he used the trunk for the air space it would be to big. the trunk is like 6 cubes. unless those subs call for like 2.0 cubes which i doubt for 10s. the box kinda looks weird just sitting in the trunk like that tho. I agree getting hard hittin bass in this car is a fuckn nightmare. You gotta cut something somewhere. I cut out the skihole and cut out some 6 inchs holes in the rear deck. I got a ported box (which is to small)only .9 cubes per woofer, my subs call for 2.0 cubes per woofer. IM firing the 2 10s back towards the trunk lid. the bass hits hard but theres still some resistance from the box blocking the skihole and not letting all the bass in the car. it vibrates the rear view mirror tho. when i had it sealed without the holes cut the interior didnt shake at all, and u couldnt even hear the bass. IM going to get 2 seperate ported boxes made both at 2.0 cubes tunes down as low as i can given the dimensions of the boxs. I want to build 2 boxes so the middle of the trunk about 8 inchs wide will be open for bass to tunnel thru, right into the skihole. then build a beauty panles to make it look like one big enclosure. its tuff tho because when u go adding beaty panels to make it look nice you start blocking off the vents you just cut. btw i got 2 700 watt rms eclipses with alpine m6's powering them. from what ive read and from what shops have told me the best way to get bass into the car is do what u did but to cut holes in the deck for the ports and have the subes firing in the trunk. but thats a custom box that would take some brain, and i dont think many shops have that
Old 12-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
those 10s prolly require like .5-1.25 cubic feet sealed. if he used the trunk for the air space it would be to big. the trunk is like 6 cubes. unless those subs call for like 2.0 cubes which i doubt for 10s. the box kinda looks weird just sitting in the trunk like that tho. I agree getting hard hittin bass in this car is a fuckn nightmare. You gotta cut something somewhere. I cut out the skihole and cut out some 6 inchs holes in the rear deck. I got a ported box (which is to small)only .9 cubes per woofer, my subs call for 2.0 cubes per woofer. IM firing the 2 10s back towards the trunk lid. the bass hits hard but theres still some resistance from the box blocking the skihole and not letting all the bass in the car. it vibrates the rear view mirror tho. when i had it sealed without the holes cut the interior didnt shake at all, and u couldnt even hear the bass. IM going to get 2 seperate ported boxes made both at 2.0 cubes tunes down as low as i can given the dimensions of the boxs. I want to build 2 boxes so the middle of the trunk about 8 inchs wide will be open for bass to tunnel thru, right into the skihole. then build a beauty panles to make it look like one big enclosure. its tuff tho because when u go adding beaty panels to make it look nice you start blocking off the vents you just cut. btw i got 2 700 watt rms eclipses with alpine m6's powering them. from what ive read and from what shops have told me the best way to get bass into the car is do what u did but to cut holes in the deck for the ports and have the subes firing in the trunk. but thats a custom box that would take some brain, and i dont think many shops have that

Yea have to have a box on these.. our trunks are close to 10 cubic feet.. and anything under a cube or over 1.5 and they would sound like poop.. i dont mind having a box its not a race car.. and itll still outrun all the 535s and 545s and get 18 and change mpg doing it.. so im cool with that.

The box we built took some brains in itself.. the back of the box looks like a freaking puzzle piece to squeeze every ounce of airspace we could out of it... originally i wanted the box to sit further in and be more discreet but we could only do 2 10s that way.. so we had to come out further to make air for the 3rd... speakers firing into the trunk and ported up would have been fine.. EXCEPT ported boxes are always gonna be larger than sealed boxes.. and not as tight.. and i wanted a tight SQ setup.. and i wanted 3.. so ported would have been either bigger.. or one less sub. .and no matter how minimal would have not been as responsive.

Im not sure if the video represents it as well as it is.. cause right now the box takes a second glance to even notice.. and DEF doesnt look like 3 cubes of airspace.. Once it gets a lil trim panel around it.. i think itll be golden.

I did 20x8.5s and 20x10s btw on 245/35s and 275/30s all black lip and all with a machined face.. and a super high offset. Just got back from xmas.. ill get some pics up soon.