E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Attempting an Orion v2 Install on Pre LCI Halogen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Greetings everyone,
I was thinking of attempting the orion v2 install on Pre LCI Halogen headlights and was wondering if i could get some closer pictures of them installed. I am wondering how they mount the AE ring without the projector housing.
I have noticed the install count on these headlights is lacking number and cant seem to find much info on this so im coming here for more info

What do you guys use to mount the rings (glue,Backing tape?) since most adhesive projects have the potential to fall apart due to heat? or can they mount the same way the existing dim AE ring sits in there?

Also is it even possible to reseal the headlight to prevent moisture 100% ? if so what are you using?
Pics and helpful links are always appreciated
thanks!
-Bill
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

http://www.umnitza.com/install/E60InstallationGuide.pdf
Old 09-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

My first install back in 2009 was on a pre-LCI halogen. Dig it up and you'll see pics.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
My first install back in 2009 was on a pre-LCI halogen. Dig it up and you'll see pics.
i saw the thread you posted them for sale back a few years. i was hoping for some closer pics..
ill keep looking for an install thread...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

ive looked at this numerous times. but it wonder if they mount the same on a headlight without projectors.. i think the shroud around the headlight is different..
Old 09-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Contributors

I think I had pictures posted of close up when I had the for sale thread for them.

Otherwise if I remember when I am on my other laptop, I will post it.

Like I said though, you should just save up for LCI halogens and upgrade from there.

Otherwise it is possible to retro projector into pre-LCI halogen and install Orions, but buying the parts alone are just half way there (if not more) to getting a set of used LCI halogens.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I think I had pictures posted of close up when I had the for sale thread for them.

Otherwise if I remember when I am on my other laptop, I will post it.

Like I said though, you should just save up for LCI halogens and upgrade from there.

Otherwise it is possible to retro projector into pre-LCI halogen and install Orions, but buying the parts alone are just half way there (if not more) to getting a set of used LCI halogens.
hahahaha, i was waiting for this answer. "just go buy lci halogens". i found a nice pair for 750 but then another 200 or so for the cable will have to wait untill the spring. going to put on new wheels and sides before i go lci.

i found the thread you posted for the install. You also mentioned using a hot glue gun for this? i'm surprised the heat from the hid's didnt melt the rings right off. i've have hids in my low beams and am thinking this will be my end result, i know they radiate some heat.

the thought of cutting them open and the install doesn't seem to bad. a Dremel with a diamond wheel will cut through that like butter, but re sealing out the moisture i think will be a problem with cold winters here when the plastic contracts from the cold temps.

what did you use to seal up the headlightS?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bill109
hahahaha, i was waiting for this answer. "just go buy lci halogens". i found a nice pair for 750 but then another 200 or so for the cable will have to wait untill the spring. going to put on new wheels and sides before i go lci.

i found the thread you posted for the install. You also mentioned using a hot glue gun for this? i'm surprised the heat from the hid's didnt melt the rings right off. i've have hids in my low beams and am thinking this will be my end result, i know they radiate some heat.

the thought of cutting them open and the install doesn't seem to bad. a Dremel with a diamond wheel will cut through that like butter, but re sealing out the moisture i think will be a problem with cold winters here when the plastic contracts from the cold temps.

what did you use to seal up the headlightS?
In my earlier installs, I had used hot glue to mount. I didn't have any issue with my own install, but down the road, other members that have attempted the same in other locations have mentioned it didn't work so well for them. It could've been where the glue was applied or other variables. With that said, it's probably better idea to use stronger and great heat tolerant material to mount the rings.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

While we're working very hard right now on a DIY video for the E92 (we just did our 4th one), it will likely have cross over information for the E60 as far as mounting the rings. We may however have to "fuzz out" the actual detailed nature of the mounting as it's a somewhat proprietary process

The only issues you will have is how to open your lights, because the E92 actually bakes open, while the E60 does not.