E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The Art of the "Hidden Weight"

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530D SE

It might only be a minor detail to some of you, but if like me you value the clean look of your alloy wheels, I fully recommend Racing Green Cars near Guildford for your wheels balancing and tyres fitting. www.racinggreencars.com

I have no connection with them, but after searching the internet for a few days and two pointless trips later, I thought I'd let you all know that they really can can balance your wheels by hiding the ugly 'stick-on' balancing weights BEHIND THE SPOKES ONLY.

I'm not sure how they do this, but using their 'Hunter' machine and a fully trained engineer they can program the machine with your wheel's spoke locations and split the weights at the point of imbalance to hide them behind the nearest two spokes. Excellent for my 5 spoke alloys!

I recently got a puncture in one of my run-flat tyres and paid an above average fee (I heard the stiff walled run-flats can be difficult to replace?) to take it to my local authorised dealer for replacement, but they did a standard job and stuck a bunch of ugly weights visibly on the rim of my alloy wheel. (Unlike my other three alloys which have hidden weights since delivery).

Racing Green's service was exemplary and they carried out the job while I waited. You can also have a cup of coffee and look at all the nice TVRs and Jaguars while you wait too!.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this is a cool new way to "split weight" and you can designate where to have the weights installed on the wheels.

We have this Hunter machine which also does Road Force testing which is phenomenal, especially on larger diameter wheel & tire combos.

This process eliminates any vibration or harshness caused by the wheel or tie being not "true".

our .02