E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Apple/BMW partnership for iPod

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 03:46 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Today, Apple CEO Steve Jobs hinted at more iPod/vehicle interoperability. There have been rumors floating around about a possible Apple/BMW partnership to bring out some iPod/vehicle integration. Today at the D: All Things Digital conference, Apple rumor site AppleInsider noted:

Jobs alluded to a new product when he was setting context prior to announcing the Airport Express. He said people also want the iPod to work better in their car, and to expect some announcements later in the year. Jobs had an image on the screen of the inside of a BMW, with the BMW logo Photoshop'd out.

So for you iPod owners out there, it looks like we can expect some new connectivity options...Bluetooth, perhaps? We can dream!

(AirPort Express is a wireless, palm-sized 802.11g base station that has analog and optical audio outputs for connectivity to your entertainment system or powered speakers, allowing you to stream your iTunes music libraries wirelessly to your stereo, via AirTunes. It also has the capability to store multiple profiles, so it's easy to use as a portable wireless access point when on the road. Works with Mac or PC.)
Old 06-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i heard of this rumor a while ago. apple and bmw, on the top of my list of toys ABCs.
i am a macuser. no PC 4me.
BTW my ipod sits perfectly in the cup holder on my e60. rollee
Old 06-07-2004, 04:28 PM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by rollee' date='Jun 7 2004, 06:20 PM
i heard of this rumor a while ago. apple and bmw, on the top of my list of toys ABCs.
i am a macuser. no PC 4me.
BTW my ipod sits perfectly in the cup holder on my e60. rollee
You might be interested to know that this web site runs on Mac OS X Server on an Apple Xserve. :-)
Old 06-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

thanks das. rock solid platform for a great site. i approve.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Love my Mac G5. Apple user for over twenty years. I have four pc's in my office but I use a mac.

i-pod would be a huge bonus......forget about CD's, sooooo 90's
Old 06-08-2004, 11:44 AM
sj3
Senior Members

IMSHO, all new car cd players/changers should play MP3's. Actually, at Radioshack, portable cd players that play mp3's are much more expensive than those that don't; the latter all play CD-R/CD-RW for 'copies' of CDs. Now, that said, most MP3s are recorded at such a pitifully slow sampling rate that these recordings have no business calling themselves music. Yeah, it's great to have 1,000,000 CDs (I know!) on something the size of a matchbook, but if it sounds like junk to a trained ear, I'm not personally interested. Some CDs are recorded beautifully, some not. However, unless you really know what you're doing with MP3 and use a sampling rate that would result in very large files, have fun! Again, I do think cars should play them, especially if they advertise they do! Thanks.

Sam
Old 06-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Hey das,

I've got an original Apple Lisa sitting in a closet! Any offers?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:45 AM
das
Site Founders

More news, from http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=502

Apple and BMW have joined forces to codevelop an audio adapter that will soon allow owners of recent BMW models to connect their iPods to their car audio system, sources said.

The device will reportedly allow users to control their iPod or iPod mini through a auxiliary headset unit or cruise-control-like controls mounted on the steering wheel. The device will also allow users to view playlists or song tracks, and charge their iPod.

Sources said to expect further details this month, as Fallon Worldwide, BMW's advertising agency, is currently wrapping up the development of a campaign entitled 'iPod Your BMW.'

In April, Fallon registered iPodYourBMW.com, which is now expected to go live sometime later this month.

During last week's Wall Street Journal's D: All Things Digital conference, Apple CEO, Steve Jobs, alluded to a new car audio product when he was setting context prior to announcing the Airport Express. Jobs said customers also want the iPod to work better in their car, and to expect some announcements later in the year. While making the statement, Jobs reportedly displayed an image on of the interior of a BMW automobile, with the BMW logo digitally removed.

Later this month, Apple is also expected to introduce a new set of wired remotes for the iPod mini. The remotes will allow iPod mini owners to single-handedly fast-forward or rewind a track, play, pause and adjust volume.

Apple will reportedly include headphones with the remotes, which will be available in all 5 of the iPod mini colors.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:46 AM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 8 2004, 03:50 PM
Hey das,

I've got an original Apple Lisa sitting in a closet! Any offers?
I've got more than enough old Apple equipment...but a Lisa is something to hold on to!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

That's exactly why I'm holding on to it!!

I'm betting the other vintage Apple and Mac stuff I've thrown away over the years won't come back to haunt me but the Lisa -- I'm gonna hold it for some time, even if just for sentimental reasons.

Quick Reply: Apple/BMW partnership for iPod