E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anyone using BBS AIR II CY 19" rims?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Came across this and was wondering if anyone was using these rims and if there are pics of it?

INFO:
First was BBS. The German wheel manufacturer, a staple to any German car enthusiast, displayed their new CY model. With a handsome polished face to the mesh design, and gloss black painted inner areas, this just might be one of the best-looking designs to come from BBS in years.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i

that's one wheel
Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Where can we get those wheels?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone using BBS AIR II CY 19" rims?-comment_friday_damn.jpg  
Old 08-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Mike~ Great looking wheels!
Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

I don't know where they are sold stateside but over here in Taiwan the main BBS dealer has em as well as being on YahooBid: BBS Rim
Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

A few more pics of BBS AIR II series that I've found online:

The South German company which is located in the Black Forest, is considered one of the world?s leading light alloy wheel manufacturers in terms of quality and technology. With the new patented AIR INSIDE TECHNOLOGY BBS sets a new milestone in the production of light alloy wheels. Circumferencial hollow chambers and hollow cast spokes provide significantly lower weight and considerably better stability which provide better driving dynamics, improved driving comfort and increased driving safety.

BBS AIR INSIDE ? Patented Hollow Chamber Technology - "More Air. Less Weight?

How ? thought the BBS engineers ? can we make a big wheel light, but also extremely safe? The result is amazing: ?More air. Less weight.?

The secret: hollow chambers instead of aluminium. The patented BBS AIR INSIDE TECHNOLOGY with circumferential hollow chambers and hollow spokes provides a noticeably lower weight and considerably better stability. As a direct result, not only the driving dynamics and the driving comfort are improved. The brand-new BBS technology is also a guarantor for the maximum safety possible in traffic.

The AIR INSIDE TECHNOLOGY at one glance:
? The inner and outer shoulder are shaped into hollow chambers by flow-forming and are afterwards laser welded.
? The resistance to the deformation of the rim shoulder is being increased by 60 % and therefore significantly improves safety.
? The hollow chambers in the spokes increase the air volume of the wheel.
? This procedure reduces the weight of the AI wheel by approximately 5,3 kg.
? This counteracts the disadvantageous reduction of the air volume in low section tyres.
? Higher safety pressure at loss of air.
? Improved cushioning characteristics.
? Less noise development.
? Lower tyre flange temperatures.

"AIR I AI?- Perfect Appearance, Patented Safety

Hollow chamber constructions are used when the static requirements are high. From the aircraft to the bone structure examples are known in nature and technology where a higher load capacity is gained by systematic hollowing out. The wheel BBS AIR I AI takes advantage of this technology and increases the stability of the wheel by up to 60 %. At a weight reduction at the same time of nearly 22 kg per wheel set.
The spokes are hollow cast using hydraulically actuated inserts. Inner and outer flange are shaped into hollow areas through flow-forming and laser welding. Ball polished surface.

The new AIR I AI wheel is also equipped with an integrated valve, not using the standard valve. The result is that the valve is not only more accessible but it is also better protected against pollution, especially in off road use. And when it is a question of safety and driving comfort, BBS has always been the number one in development.

"AIR II CK? - The Super Athlete

The two-piece AIR II CK with a center connected to the rim by titanium bolts is the measure of all things, in case of absolutely sporty driving. No other technology permits such a high driving comfort and at the same time a high driving safety. The BBS AIR INSIDE TECHNOLOGY increases the resistance to the deformation of the inner shoulder by up to 60 %.

The laws of dynamics indicate where a weight reduction can be most effective: in the rim shoulder. A physical fact, which everyone knows from the so-called pirouette effect. To keep the arms closer to the body ? a reduction of the outer rotating mass ? leads to an accelerated rotation. The result of the hollow cast rim shoulder: clearly better acceleration- and brake characteristics.

The Specials: Rim section manufactured using BBS patented AIR INSIDE TECHNOLOGY with hollow inner flange. Polished stainless steel rim protector covers the balance weights on the outer flange. Rim protector can be replaced if damaged. 2-Piece construction with stainless steel rim protector. New BBS ?titanium-silver? painted center. Titanium assembly bolts.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

whenever I hear BBS I always think about the LMs and the CH black edition
sorry just thought Id share
Old 08-21-2008, 10:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='651991' date='Aug 22 2008, 01:16 PM
whenever I hear BBS I always think about the LMs and the CH black edition
sorry just thought Id share
True but the LMs have been used so much.....