E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anyone tint stock side markers (from the inside of the lens)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 BMW 550i, jet black, blacked out grills, tinted led side lights, 19" M wheels
Thumbs up

Title pretty much says it all. I've tried unsuccessfully to find tinted replacements but none fit tightly against the fender like the oem markers do. So, I'm now thinking that maybe I can tint the oem's from the inside with a tint spray. I want to do it on the inside so it doesn't come off.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Not too sure as ive never tried it but i imagine it would be pretty hard to spray the inside evenly and not get any drips etc. Easiest way to spray OEM sidemarkers is from the outside and then clearcoat them and it shouldn't come off.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Contributors

if you spray them and then clear coat it, you should be fine. If not take them off a couple years down the road and do it. Its not like those side markers are going to take a beating
Old 05-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

which ones tinted ones did you purchase?

were they the ones from trinity, members seems to be satisfied with those..

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=70567

you could always ask them for pics of their product...

not sure you would be able to pull the original side marker housing apart to spray the inside
Old 05-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 BMW 550i, jet black, blacked out grills, tinted led side lights, 19" M wheels

Yeah, emailed them and they were very helpful. They pretty much said that they fit some series cars better than others and you can make them fit a bit better by bending the clips (which I tried). The problem seems to be that these aftermarket side markers are pretty much one size fits all (E everything). And I learned that with all the incandescent bulbs, upon replacing them with any LED bulb, the LED will flash for a while when the car is started and the lights are OFF. I'm told it's normal (cars computer system sending signals to bulb in order to get a "reply" from the bulb, thereby telling the computer if there is a problem with the bulb). But, normal or not, I don't care for randomly flashing LEDs on the car. So, I decided that it is best to replace the factory yellow bulb with a white/light yellow bulb that looks clear (un-noticable) and tint the oem lens. But it seems to me that it would look the best if tinted on the inside of the lens if the lenses could be taken apart from the housing, sprayed and reassembled.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Waterfreak66' post='870326' date='May 6 2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah, emailed them and they were very helpful. They pretty much said that they fit some series cars better than others and you can make them fit a bit better by bending the clips (which I tried). The problem seems to be that these aftermarket side markers are pretty much one size fits all (E everything). And I learned that with all the incandescent bulbs, upon replacing them with any LED bulb, the LED will flash for a while when the car is started and the lights are OFF. I'm told it's normal (cars computer system sending signals to bulb in order to get a "reply" from the bulb, thereby telling the computer if there is a problem with the bulb). But, normal or not, I don't care for randomly flashing LEDs on the car. So, I decided that it is best to replace the factory yellow bulb with a white/light yellow bulb that looks clear (un-noticable) and tint the oem lens. But it seems to me that it would look the best if tinted on the inside of the lens if the lenses could be taken apart from the housing, sprayed and reassembled.
i think it would be easiest to just take it off and spray the outside. nothing is going to happen to that little side marker light. clear coat it. it will look nice! if you dont like it get some lacquer and clean it off. simple!! send those babies to me and i will do it for you. i did my tails, my grille's, and my window trim.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

+1 with AWG, just try and spray the outside then finish with a clear coat, as this process works good for the tail lights
Old 05-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Members

Even if you did manage to get inside the lens and do a perfect tinting job, I think

tinting the inside instead of the outside will just make the lens look dirty and old.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

I bought mine from here http://www.europeanautosource.com/

Good looks, good fit.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

I doubt you would get a uniform tint from the inside.

Quick Reply: Anyone tint stock side markers (from the inside of the lens)?