E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anybody try the BMW clear bra?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife picked her '05 530 up at the dealer today from service and they had in the brochure something about BMW's clear bra. I guess it's the adhesive bra and I was wondering if anyone has tried it on their e60 yet.

LMK your experiences.

TIA
Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by boost addict' post='519327' date='Jan 17 2008, 04:21 PM
My wife picked her '05 530 up at the dealer today from service and they had in the brochure something about BMW's clear bra. I guess it's the adhesive bra and I was wondering if anyone has tried it on their e60 yet.

LMK your experiences.

TIA
I have one. Installed it at 3500 miles after two stone chips. I believe it is 3M material.

I highly recommend it, especially if you have a dark color. The front portion of the hood will get trashed.

You can tell it is on there if you look close - i.e. I know it is there. But in looking at the dings in it, I would be very sorry if I had not put it on. I would say the biggest problem is that when you wax your car, you have to really work to remove the wax along the edge - which really is not a problem.

Purchased it from parts and had it installed by a tint shop. It is not an easy thing to install. My tint shop did a good job, but I have heard of really poor jobs. Unlike tinting a window, the bra takes two people to install it.

I have had it on now for over 50k miles now and it still looks good. I was afraid I was going to have to replace it every few years. I should get 100k miles out of it easy.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by jsal' post='519340' date='Jan 17 2008, 08:46 PM
I have one. Installed it at 3500 miles after two stone chips. I believe it is 3M material.

I highly recommend it, especially if you have a dark color. The front portion of the hood will get trashed.

You can tell it is on there if you look close - i.e. I know it is there. But in looking at the dings in it, I would be very sorry if I had not put it on. I would say the biggest problem is that when you wax your car, you have to really work to remove the wax along the edge - which really is not a problem.

Purchased it from parts and had it installed by a tint shop. It is not an easy thing to install. My tint shop did a good job, but I have heard of really poor jobs. Unlike tinting a window, the bra takes two people to install it.

I have had it on now for over 50k miles now and it still looks good. I was afraid I was going to have to replace it every few years. I should get 100k miles out of it easy.
+1 I would highly recommend the clear bra, mine saved me from an Audi TT!! Really saves the front end from rock chips/sctatches. I also have it on the mirrors, side skirts and mud flap area behind each wheel. Many members also have their headlights and fog lights covered to protect the sensitive clear plastic lenses. All are well worth the $$$
Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '08 535i Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Comfort Seats-Premium Pkg, Nav, ipod, PDC, Steptronic Proud BMW owner since 9-1-07

I had mine ordered from BMW and ready for pickup. About 300 bucks for the bra parts and the installer wanted 400. I then found a guy to do a 3M clear bra, which I believe to be same or better for 350. He also did the door edges behind the door handles and the trunk lip. I think I got a better job with equal or better quality product for a much better price by not using the precut BMW product. You may want to look around in your area.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by SLORider' post='519371' date='Jan 17 2008, 09:33 PM
I had mine ordered from BMW and ready for pickup. About 300 bucks for the bra parts and the installer wanted 400. I then found a guy to do a 3M clear bra, which I believe to be same or better for 350. He also did the door edges behind the door handles and the trunk lip. I think I got a better job with equal or better quality product for a much better price by not using the precut BMW product. You may want to look around in your area.
+1 I didn't go with the BMW kit either. Any reputable tint shop should be able to do a custom job cheaper and with better coverage than the BMW kit. I paid $500 total for window tint and the clear bra.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

I highly recommend it. Here are a couple of photos of my car with the clear bra installed. You can't even tell it's on the front bumper and half hood.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry481277
Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

If you dont live in HK, then I would get it.
If you live in HK dont get it cos it cost more than respraying the car.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:08 AM
Members

OK, I'm convinced.

I'll start calling around today. BTW, all of your cars look great! The e60 really is a beautiful body style.

Although, I'm considering an e39 M5 for a daily. Anybody driven one? Impressions?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '08 535i Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Comfort Seats-Premium Pkg, Nav, ipod, PDC, Steptronic Proud BMW owner since 9-1-07

Hey boost, just a suggestion but it would help if you put some information in the profile so it shows up on your posts. Your location is a good one as others can help you out in your area. Car info is helpful so we know what you've got and don't have to ask each time or go back to another post.
Good luck on the bra and see if you can work a deal for tint at the same time. Check back and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Jet Black, natural brown interior, automatic, Logic 7, ipod, lane departure warning.

anyone from long island know anyone who can do this cheap? Only guy I could find was crazy expensive... Anyone know if the paint fade will be affected by the covering?
Attached Thumbnails Anybody try the BMW clear bra?-bmw_e60__m5.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anybody try the BMW clear bra?