E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Anybody changed their airfilter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I think this can be interesting for the people who modify their car as well for people who are looking for more grunt or lower fuel consumption.

On my previous 330 Ci I had a K&N airfilter in stead of the stock airfilter. I did notice a change in fuel consumption (lower) and according to my buttdyno the car was a bit faster too (beware buttdyno's can be inaccurate ).

On E46fanatics there were a lot of guys that replaced their filterhousing with state of the art air intakes with special piping etc. Has anyone replaced their standard filter? if yes, with what and what is your experience with the new filter?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vishaL iZ mE' date='Aug 14 2004, 10:59 AM
Yea, has anyone done this?! Good question I might add!! Also, has anyone found out do they make any type of aftermarket intake's yet for the e60? Thanks!
Been searching and there was an open air intake on ebay. Said it would fit the E60.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by vishaL iZ mE' date='Aug 14 2004, 03:14 AM
Do you have the link? Or do you think it was those scam's that have sometimes? Thanks!
I would only go with a premium brand like K&N or in the US Benfer or something.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Contributors

Try this place
www.globalautoshop.com
Old 08-14-2004, 01:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vishaL iZ mE' date='Aug 14 2004, 03:18 AM
For the air filter? Of course! But intake wise, I wan't to see what is on the market these days! How much would a K&N filter even cost? Any ideas?
For my 330i I paid 90 euros and that was when dollar and euro were equal. So I would say between an 85 and 100 bucks.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Aug 14 2004, 03:13 AM
[quote name='vishaL iZ mE' date='Aug 14 2004, 10:59 AM'] Yea, has anyone done this?! Good question I might add!! Also, has anyone found out do they make any type of aftermarket intake's yet for the e60? Thanks!
Been searching and there was an open air intake on ebay. Said it would fit the E60. [/quote]
Unless it's from a respected name or something.. i'd avoid intakes from Ebay.. most likely the filter charger on it... is of poor quality..and worst case scenario may break off and go it to your engine...
Old 08-14-2004, 10:37 PM
Contributors

I understand how for some vehicles an aftermarket filter may improve things. However, in different cars of different qualities, there must be cases that span the gamut of making it worse to significant, if 5 hp is significant. Looking at the E60's intake, it looks well designed with cool air coming in. Only when a filter is installed and hp measurably improved would I consider spending the money. Ten testimonials don't convince me. How much restriction comes from the factory filter? What improvement is there with no filter? For test purposes a few minutes operation sans filter is safe. All these people that buy an aftermarket filter will clean them.... how often?
Old 08-15-2004, 06:35 AM
Contributors

The factory filter costs 20 euros a K&N filter 5 times more because it isn't made of paper but layers (of I believe) cotton and it's oiled. What I've read and heard about it that it keeps out dirt better then the standard filter..That is the reason why I had it on my old 330ci. But after installing it I had better fuel consumption, more grunt and a little more intakenoise (downside of a sportairfilter). I only changed the standard filter for the K&N didn't go the intake route because I also believe bmw has engineered the intake in the best possible way for this car.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

wont the filter void the warranty? can you k&n filters for bmw diesels?
Old 08-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

i think there should be drop-ins for K&N which just replaces the filter n not the original filter housing. had it on the e39

Quick Reply: Anybody changed their airfilter?