E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Another limitation with BMW IPOD interface

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks,

I seem to have stumbled across another limitation/bug with BMW's IPOD interface can anyone concur? I have a no Nav late 2004 E60 and had the interface fitted a couple of weeks ago with I think the latest program. I'm trying to workaround the 255 directory and 500 file limit using my 80GB IPOD which at the moment cannot display any artist past B!

I went into this with my eyes open to the limitations of the BMW interface and I had hoped to workaround not being able to access artists past B! by using smart playlists with artist name A, B etc. I then hit the 1000 file playlist bug where it stops listing any playlist after one containing more than a 1000 files (I say bug because I don't think this is listed in the manual anywhere). But now I seem to have hit another bug. I have around 28 playlists but I seem to hit a hard limit where any playlist after that is not seen by the I-drive and the last playlist is truncated at around 65 songs. Its not the playlist itself becuase re-ordering by name changes the playlist with the problem.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i, Sports Package, Premium Package, Nav, Logic 7

MTRHEAD

Thank you very much for this post. It helped me figure out a problem that I've been having for a few weeks. I've got a 530i with Nav and an 80 gig iPod. I had about 170 playlists in CD1 and for several months had been able to see all playlists. I had connected my iPod to my computer to add a single album and suddenly I could only see 120 out of 170 lists. BMW could find no problem.

After reading your post I realized that there might be a playlist with a lot of songs on it. There is a standard playlist in iTunes called "90's music" that was automatically added to my iPod when I added a new album. The "90s music" list had over 3000 songs in it. I removed that playlist and everything returned to normal.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by MTRHEAD' post='429574' date='May 29 2007, 02:53 PM
Folks,

I seem to have stumbled across another limitation/bug with BMW's IPOD interface can anyone concur? I have a no Nav late 2004 E60 and had the interface fitted a couple of weeks ago with I think the latest program. I'm trying to workaround the 255 directory and 500 file limit using my 80GB IPOD which at the moment cannot display any artist past B!

I went into this with my eyes open to the limitations of the BMW interface and I had hoped to workaround not being able to access artists past B! by using smart playlists with artist name A, B etc. I then hit the 1000 file playlist bug where it stops listing any playlist after one containing more than a 1000 files (I say bug because I don't think this is listed in the manual anywhere). But now I seem to have hit another bug. I have around 28 playlists but I seem to hit a hard limit where any playlist after that is not seen by the I-drive and the last playlist is truncated at around 65 songs. Its not the playlist itself becuase re-ordering by name changes the playlist with the problem.