E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Angel Eyes Not On Pre-LCI

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:35 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi E61
Default Angel Eyes Not On Pre-LCI

Good Day - I'm new to the forum - and could really use some help with a problem car. I have a few issues with my newly purchased 2006 530xi wagon. Mostly electrical. I think I've replaced just about every module do date including 4 CCC, yes 4 ... thankfully under warranty after the first one. The car has been fully reprogrammed (actually several times) - not just coded. Keep in mind - I bought the car and had it shipped. Inspection was seriously lacking in several areas - so, please, be kind. I've got experience with LCI 5 Series (2008 528 and my current car 2010 550 M Sport). But the pre-LCI leaves me with a ton of questions. Here's one of the issues that just isn't getting resolved:

2006 530xi Wagon, Xenons, Nav, premium, cold weather ...

- The PO replaced the standard angel eye bulbs with something that resembled LEDs. From what I can tell, it wasn't a kit (because the bulbs eventually were replaced ... see below)

- As they backed the car off the truck, I noticed the left side angel eyes were flashing (not flickering) actually blinking at the rate of a turn signal. Also had an error for parking light bulb in iDrive

- Took it to an indy and he diagnosed the parking lamp socket was fried. He replaced the socket and replaced the LEDs with the std bulbs, suspecting this may be a cause of the issue

- After the mess with the modules was resolved and the car actually started again - it got reprogrammed

- One thing missing now is that the angel eyes aren't on when the switch is set to auto - they were when I got the car

- when I turn the switch to position 3 or parking lights, they're on as I'd like them to be in the auto position.

- in my 08 and 2010 cars, there's a selection in the iDrive under lighting for DRL on/off. both cars have the adaptive xenon option. My 530 doesn't have that

Questions:

- on pre LCI are they even supposed to be on in the auto position

- asuming if that answer is yes ... or even no - how do I get them turned on? after that, I can deal with the LED upgrade

BTW ... just picked up from the dealer yesterday (3rd or 4th visit ... the indy gave up and took it to the dealer - but turns out the dealer was giving them crap parts and blaming it on the indy telling them they didn't know how to program, dealer went through 3 CCC's - so guessing it wasn't my indy's fault, but I digress) and they had no clue. They reprogrammed the car again and had no solution for me or to even tell me whether or not the lights should be on when the headlight switch is set to auto.

Sorry for the long post, but there's a lot of background to this - thanks for the help.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

The answer is no, unless you have light module 2.

And to make that a yes, you need a light module 2 lol.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM
New Members

Thanks for the reply ... But - they were on before the car was reprogrammed. And yes, I'm sure. My wife wouldn't drive the damn thing because the lights were flashing at people in front of her ... Funny as I was writing that, but still true.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Unfortunately I can only say you're mistaken. Unless somehow you do have LM2 in there and through coding it was turned off by mistake.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:21 PM
New Members

Appreciate the reply ... But kind of hard to mistake flashing AEs. Is there any way to know if PO installed LM2? Was it possible it was coded? BTW I have no DRLs on at all - is this correct?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Contributors

DRLs can be coded as off.

Flashing AE, I have no good answer for you. The best way for you to check is to just check the part number on the light module. Takes about 5 minutes. Remove the felt trim against the driver's chair, remove the driver's side bottom panel, and it's right there on the left side.