E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AMP went out..

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. So my amp has shorted out I have no sound @ all. My question is should I go with an aftermarket amp or remain stock? What else would have to be upgraded with an aftermarket sub? Is it plug and play? Also whats the pricing like? Any input is appreciated.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Senior Members

PM technics...He is the audio guru!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by medik13
PM technics...He is the audio guru!
+1
Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

go aftermarket its a god excuse. tehcnic's harness=winning!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Had a shop tell me yesterday since I have NO sound @ all they cnt tap into a source so I HAVE to get a stock amp. Anyone know if there is any truth to this ?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

i guess you have logig7?
Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nelson29
i guess you have logig7?
Yes I do
Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Had a shop tell me yesterday since I have NO sound @ all they cnt tap into a source so I HAVE to get a stock amp. Anyone know if there is any truth to this ?
im not a electrical wiz but i would have to say that is false since the amp is not producing the signal to tap into (the amp produces the power that drives the signal). The "tap in" source is the OEM wires that extend to the back of the car presumably from the head unit. I have seen guys build pin connectors that when right from the oem connectors directly into there amp bypassing the factory amp completely so the fact that the amp is dead means nothing to me because you could simply put an aftermarket one in its place IMO but i have been known to be wrong. Technic or miranda are very knowledgeable on this you might want to hit them up.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GsQ
im not a electrical wiz but i would have to say that is false since the amp is not producing the signal to tap into (the amp produces the power that drives the signal). The "tap in" source is the OEM wires that extend to the back of the car presumably from the head unit. I have seen guys build pin connectors that when right from the oem connectors directly into there amp bypassing the factory amp completely so the fact that the amp is dead means nothing to me because you could simply put an aftermarket one in its place IMO but i have been known to be wrong. Technic or miranda are very knowledgeable on this you might want to hit them up.
Neither am I but thats the same thing I said too. I sent Technic a PM I'm waitin for a reply or for him to chime into this thread. I'm prepared to call some junkyards tomorrow but I really dnt wanna do that but no sound is killin me the other day I left the car wash and it wasnt until I got on the highway I realized the door was open b/c I hrd no chime
Old 03-27-2011, 06:03 PM
GsQ
Contributors

damn i cant live without my music i know its tough. I just cant imagine that u need a factory amp to produce the sound it just doesnt make logical sense to me because everything comes from the headunit. what are you gonna do at the junkyard salvage a factory bmw amp? now that i am thinking since that little tinker toy of a oem amp somehow powers 10 speakers if you were gonna live without it wouldnt u need a 10 channel amp i dunno that they even sell those lol. Maybe your best bet is to just get a replacement factory amp so maybe its not an excuse to get a new aftermarket amp.lol

PS ur rims are amazing man i really like them

Quick Reply: AMP went out..