E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

For all those interested - Remus installed on 550i today

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:38 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had much time to play with my car today. Went to indy shop before going to work today. The install took one hour from start to finish. I will give the highlights of the install for now:

I bought my exhaust from Matt at Remus. As most of you are aware, he is a vendor here on the board. I had good communication with Matt, quick shipping, a fair price and a high quality product.

The exhaust system included the following.

Muffler with inlet piping and extremely nice tips
Sleeve adaptor to facilitate fit-up
optional sleeve and clamp necked down for use with 545i
two heavy duty pipe clamps

Here is the sequence we used for the install:
Removed entire stock exhaust system and laid flat on floor

Overlaid Remus muffler with furnished adaptor sleeve on top of existing exhaust, careful to line up hanger points on front and rear of muffler

Transferred end of adaptor (pipe) location to stock pipe and marked end of pipe location

Backed off about 1.5 inches (for sleeve travel) and made cut in stock pipe (the cut was made in perfectly round section of stock pipe which alleviated my previous fears of a round to oval fit-up)

Re-installed balance of stock system

Installed Remus on two stock hangers

Installed adaptor sleeve between Remus and Stock piping

Rolled adaptor as necessary for vertical and horizontal alignment

Bolted up system

The only issue we had was tip elevation. We had to bend the hanger on the rear of the Remus to help raise tips.

Lowered car, started and raised again to check for leaks. system was tight

Done

For anyone concerned about this exhaust being a pure bolt up fit for the 550i, I can tell you not to worry (at least from my experience) - no bending, crimping, welding necessary.

Now I am sure that evryone wants pics and soundclips. They will come as soon as I can get to it. Hell, I drove from my indy to work, 1/4 mile and that is the only time I have had with the car. I want to hear it too.

First impression - not loud, deeper tone with a little burble. Have not had it under full accelleration load as yet. Will follow up later.

Hope this helps

Al
Old 11-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by AlB' post='501144' date='Nov 30 2007, 10:38 AM
I haven't had much time to play with my car today. Went to indy shop before going to work today. The install took one hour from start to finish. I will give the highlights of the install for now:

I bought my exhaust from Matt at Remus. As most of you are aware, he is a vendor here on the board. I had good communication with Matt, quick shipping, a fair price and a high quality product.

Overlaid Remus muffler with furnished adaptor sleeve on top of existing exhaust, careful to line up hanger points on front and rear of muffler

Transferred end of adaptor (pipe) location to stock pipe and marked end of pipe location

Backed off about 1.5 inches (for sleeve travel) and made cut in stock pipe (the cut was made in perfectly round section of stock pipe which alleviated my previous fears of a round to oval fit-up)

Bolted up system

The only issue we had was tip elevation. We had to bend the hanger on the rear of the Remus to help raise tips.

Done

For anyone concerned about this exhaust being a pure bolt up fit for the 550i, I can tell you not to worry (at least from my experience) - no bending, crimping, welding necessary.

Now I am sure that evryone wants pics and soundclips. They will come as soon as I can get to it. Hell, I drove from my indy to work, 1/4 mile and that is the only time I have had with the car. I want to hear it too.

First impression - not loud, deeper tone with a little burble. Have not had it under full accelleration load as yet. Will follow up later.

Hope this helps

Al
Awesome! I can't wait to hear it. Obviously I'm interested in any noticeable power loss.

Is your M-Tech Diffuser any different than the 08 M-Tech Diffuser.

Enjoy your new Muffler!

So Cal
Old 11-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Glad to see everything went well.
There is no powerless from the installation of this exhaust, it is a straight through and the piping is millimeters bigger than the OEM.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by AlB' post='501144' date='Nov 30 2007, 07:38 PM

Bolted up system

Done

Hope this helps

Al
sounds good. any effects on engine torque at low rpm ?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 PM
AlB
Senior Members

I do not have much seat time in car as yet. drove from indy to work, work to home, 5 miles 45mph top limit. I will exercise tomorrow. As for torque loss or hp gain, I doubt that I will feel either one. The 550i is blessed with gobs of torque and hp. So far it seems the same. I will try some high gear, low rpm cruising, will load it up in first second and third and see how it feels. I will also do some hiway cruising in 6th gear, load it up and see how it feels. Will also check for droning or resonance at high speed. I did not notice any in 4th gear at 1200 - 1500 rpm.

I did notice some smoking and burning smell which I assume is interior sound material getting cured.

Here are a few pics of the install
Attached Thumbnails For all those interested - Remus installed on 550i today-remus11.jpg   For all those interested - Remus installed on 550i today-remus12.jpg   For all those interested - Remus installed on 550i today-remus13.jpg   For all those interested - Remus installed on 550i today-remus15.jpg  
Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

The smoking smell is indeed a "cure", after a few miles it will be gone.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='501161' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:12 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to hear it. Obviously I'm interested in any noticeable power loss.

Is your M-Tech Diffuser any different than the 08 M-Tech Diffuser.

Enjoy your new Muffler!

So Cal
I have the stock rear valance and the tips fit fine.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by AlB' post='501269' date='Nov 30 2007, 04:20 PM
I have the stock rear valance and the tips fit fine.
Thanks. "Stock Rear Valance"---as in Sports Package with M-Tech?

Totally different if not.

From looking at your picture, that muffler and it's tips aren't fitting the M-Tech Diffuser without some cutting/customizing.

Thanks.

So Cal
Old 11-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

Yes, they are fitting on the M-Tech.
A member on this forum did it, even posted pictures. I'll have to dig it up.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:51 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='501301' date='Nov 30 2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks. "Stock Rear Valance"---as in Sports Package with M-Tech?

Totally different if not.

From looking at your picture, that muffler and it's tips aren't fitting the M-Tech Diffuser without some cutting/customizing.

Thanks.

So Cal
I have a 2007 so I don't have the sport package like the 08.

Quick Reply: For all those interested - Remus installed on 550i today