E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

All the bars, sway, strut, under...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I own a 2007 550i M Sport coming from a 2006 330i Sport pack

After a couple of months with the car, im noticing some caractaristics that I would like to improuve on.
in its curent state, the car has allot of body flex, this makes the car feel very unsafe if you apply power (car basicly feels like a noodle).

after extensive research, I think i've decide what I want to do but im not sure about it...
I did some reading to see how others felt, heres what i found

So far I think I want this 3 Ultra Racing bars setup I keep hearing about on this board with H&R sways front and rear...

First, where do I get this setup below? I tried to look around for the group buy but I think I missed the parade...
https://5series.net/forums/topic/972...ng-strut-bars/
https://5series.net/forums/topic/991...ng-strut-bars/

Also, I saw this but Im not sure about its benefits
M5 OEM reinforcement pull rod
https://5series.net/forums/topic/112...ment-pull-rod/

Here is an alternative to the H&R sway but it only talks about the back...
OEM M5 rear sway bar
https://5series.net/forums/topic/113...ay-bar-on-e60/

Can you guys help me with this?

Help would be appreciated...
Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Members

nobody?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

550 m sport feels like a "noodle" and unsafe wow. And you say it about the car that was a benchmark for every oher car in it's class? You got yourself wrong car. Why try to make a luxury sport sedan something that it isn't.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

you have active roll system on your car, and you want to replace that system with standard sway bars?? something is not right.

and "unsafe" and "noodle"?? you sure you were driving a bmw?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Members

[hey, this is my opinion, I just traded in a 330i with sports pack so this might be why I feel this way, to me the 5 has allot of frame flex, im not saying the car is trash, im saying id like to stiffen it up a bit...

Obviously i'm not alone to feel this way since i did find other that felt the same...

I dont know much about the car like others, i bought the car used so I'm not aware of all this active roll system you are mentioning...

Again, looking for advice...
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by turboawd
you have active roll system on your car, and you want to replace that system with standard sway bars?? something is not right.
You're sure he has dynamic Drive?

Originally Posted by djinferno1
[hey, this is my opinion, I just traded in a 330i with sports pack so this might be why I feel this way, to me the 5 has allot of frame flex, im not saying the car is trash, im saying id like to stiffen it up a bit...
I agree these cars have a distinctly different feeling but noodle?

Anyways, I've read here that many who tried liked the strut bars setup, also a tower strut brace is often said to be of help indirectly.

If you indeed do have Dynamic Drive stabilizers then I think the rearmost strut bar won't fit.

Keep us posted on what you're getting.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Theo
You're sure he has dynamic Drive?

I agree these cars have a distinctly different feeling but noodle?

Anyways, I've read here that many who tried liked the strut bars setup, also a tower strut brace is often said to be of help indirectly.

If you indeed do have Dynamic Drive stabilizers then I think the rearmost strut bar won't fit.

Keep us posted on what you're getting.
Wow, someone nice with good imput, who knew...

Im not sure I have dynamic drive, I know I dont have active steering...

I was told that the strut tower bar i was looking at might not fit because of the 550 v8...

Again, im looking for anybody that can help me stifen up the ride without lowering the car...

And wen I say noodle, I feel the body flexing if I put the pedal down, also you can tell the traction control jumps in way faster because the wheels are not as planted...
Old 04-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I got my Ultra Racing Bar from an eBay seller from Malaysia. He was very good and shipping was fast. Cost me around $150 shipped. I really like the way it tightened up the front end, I get no more squeaks from my windshield area since I installed it. However, I don't think this bar fits the V-8 cars.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Wow, someone nice with good imput, who knew...

I was told that the strut tower bar i was looking at might not fit because of the 550 v8...

Again, im looking for anybody that can help me stifen up the ride without lowering the car...

And wen I say noodle, I feel the body flexing if I put the pedal down, also you can tell the traction control jumps in way faster because the wheels are not as planted...
you say you have m-sport package, but not sport suspension? just the ground effects? is that a canadian option, or did the previous owner install?
in the US, i think sport package includes dynamic drive, active steering, and active roll system.
sounds like you may have standard suspension, which would explain why it feels like it does.
you'd have to at least change shocks/struts and sway bars to get a better feel.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

If you do it is displayed under the hood, left side when looking from kidneys to windshield. Alternatively you could ask a dealer for your options list to be sure.

There was a topic here that discussed a Cusco bar that would fit the V8's, not sure others do.

The underbody struts mentioned are known to be a good solution, as soon as you know whether you've got DD you can investigate if two or three of these will likely get your desired results. If it is indeed possible to get a tower strut over that big V8 cover as well... If you don't have DD then you might try and replace the suspension components, sway bars etc. with M5 parts fro example. Can't recall no experiences from anyone attempting that though and have no idea about costs and feasibility.

Then you've got much more feel for the car than I do, then again you've got more power as well so that might factor in...

Good luck!