E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

all aftermarket stereo upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcast305' date='Jun 8 2004, 10:59 PM
Also, the trunk in the 5-series is very well sound insolated (well at least the ones without the fold down seats, can speak for the ones with them).
yeah it's so well sealed that i have to cut out part of the ski pass thru .without doing that the bass wont come inside the car
Old 06-09-2004, 09:45 AM
Members

yeah it's so well sealed that i have to cut out part of the ski pass thru .without doing that the bass wont come inside the car
Wow, I didn't have to go that far, the subs/amp I have are strong enough to get the bass thru. However, I might end up later upgrading the sub box I have to a 2 12 inch ported box (deeper bass do to the volume of the box that would be required and also higher decibels because of the ported design).
Old 06-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tcast305' date='Jun 9 2004, 11:45 AM
Wow, I didn't have to go that far, the subs/amp I have are strong enough to get the bass thru. However, I might end up later upgrading the sub box I have to a 2 12 inch ported box (deeper bass do to the volume of the box that would be required and also higher decibels because of the ported design).
i mean the bass is going thru...but im not getting enough
Old 06-18-2004, 02:57 AM
Members

here's what I did.....

I got a 525 with a bog standard stereo system and fold down seats.

1) Added a band-pass sub woofer in the boot with a Alpine 350 mono amp. (SWD-2000) This unit is fairly compact and kicks. No probs in hearing the bass in the car, although I had to play with the EQ alot on the unit to get the right sound.

2) The stock speakers are absolutly fine for the ranges they are designed for, and at quite high volumes, so I kept them, but to improve their performance and range I...

i) Put capacitors in the positive feed of the speakers in the front doors and rear parcel shelf to cut the bass response off to stop any distortion. The sub in the boot now handles the bass.

ii) Added tweeters in the back. really easy, just pop the speaker grills, squeeze the x-over in (I used little passive alpine x-overs) and mount the tweeters in the holes already there. Next thing on the list is to add tweeters in the front doors.

I have left the mid-range / woofers (dual cones) under the seats alone for two reasons....firstly they are pretty good at what they do. they could do with a capacitor to limit the bass, but that brings my second point - they are so difficlut to get to, it means removing the seats - nightmare, so I'm leaving alone for the time being until I can trace the wiring and place the capacitors at the dashboard end of the speaker wire.

My set up sounds pretty cool - best part is, the sound insulation of the car is so good, I can crank the stereo righ up, and there is minimal sound outside the car.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 525D

Going to install my amp and sub soon. Can ANYONE tell me where to find following in the trunk:

1) Remote Turnon wire - what wire do I tap into for this ? I will use this to run a relay that powers all my remote accessories (leds/amp/fans/...)

2) Where did you guys tap into the signal for the sub ? What color wires ?

Will be using a line level converter.

Thanks !
Old 01-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Take the signal form the rear shelf speakers. Just tap i nto them. They are easy to get into. Do a search. There is tons of info on this.