5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Air Intake and/or Exhaust (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/air-intake-exhaust-122595/)

Clean525xi 04-11-2012 11:15 AM

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums, and new to the BMW club in general -- Just picked up an 07 525xi about 3 weeks ago. I was curious as to how one would go about deepening the 'growl' of the car, but without making it sound cheezy. I just want to add a little volume, whether through an intake or an exhaust -- preferrably an intake, as they are cheaper and easier to install. I come from the Honda/Acura world, where you can slap a piece of steel and a K&N filter on your car and make it scream -- but I know that's not the case in this world . Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

pjinca 04-11-2012 11:28 AM

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Unfortunately for our cars there is no such thing as an Cold Air Intake thaat makes power, instead they make the sound but LOSE power through heat soak (and losing power on a 525/530 is less than ideal). Get the RPI scoop and BMC filter package, and possibly RPI ehaust and your car will gain power and sound better. Contact TrinityAutosport or Nerweezy here on the forum (you'll need 5 posts to use PM function) or find them at trinityautosport.com :thumbsup:

Clean525xi 04-11-2012 01:35 PM

Thanks! I definitely don't wanna LOSE HP! I wanted to splurge for the 530xi, but just couldn't afford the extra 30 HP :D. I'll look into those performance mods -- Are they DIY type mods, or do they require a mechanic?

mo858 04-11-2012 01:49 PM

other than the exhaust, all the other suggestions are DIY. i wanted that growl too, so despite all the talk about losing HP, i got an intake anyway. and i do love the way it sounds. i think i'm losing more speed from the 20" rims and big tires than the intake. i don't have twin turbos or a V8, so i'm not gonna win any races!

flyingpuck 04-11-2012 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1434329)
Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

Unfortunately for our cars there is no such thing as an Cold Air Intake thaat makes power, instead they make the sound but LOSE power through heat soak (and losing power on a 525/530 is less than ideal). Get the RPI scoop and BMC filter package, and possibly RPI ehaust and your car will gain power and sound better. Contact TrinityAutosport or Nerweezy here on the forum (you'll need 5 posts to use PM function) or find them at trinityautosport.com :thumbsup:

+1 THAT is the way to go! :thumbsup:

wtlb 04-11-2012 03:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Your best bet is BMC Filter, RPI Scoop, Carbon Delete, and RPI Exhaust (Give Trinity Autosports a call and talk to Nerwyll or Joe)

Carbon Delete: https://5series.net/forums/topic/217...lter+delete%22

Clean525xi 04-12-2012 11:19 AM

@mo858
What type of intake did you put on? Is it just a filter, or did you replace the factory airbox? Have you noticed any slower performance, or increase/decrease in mileage? Did you get a tune up afterward? Just trying to get a feel -- Mine is not TT nor V8, so I'm also not winning any races :)

mo858 04-12-2012 11:58 AM

i have the AFE intake that replaces the factory box. initially i did feel like there was an increase in performance, but could just be a placebo effect. i have a manual and because it sounds so nice, i find myself driving more aggressively thus decreasing my MPG. i noticed the most decrease after i got bigger heavier tires on my 20's though. as for tuning, i just purchased a BMS Powerbox on another forum and am waiting for that. there are a few threads about it if you're interested.

Arctic-Rodz 04-12-2012 10:51 PM

I just did the carbon delete on my 550 and dusted off the stock air filter while my k&n filter arrives. It already feels like it has a bit more punch but i doubt the stock filter is helping.

RPI scoop will be ordered in a couple of days. Im also looking into an exhaust so ill be calling them up too. Still debating about a quad exhaust set up! :D

Persian_535i 04-13-2012 12:47 AM

I put burger tuning dual intake on in the winter time (cold weather) and bmc filter w/stock box the rest of the year. Love the sound of wind being sucked in and the effects it has on my turbos. As I said I only have it installed during cold temps of 65 and cooler which resolves heat soak issues. The addition of my rpi scoops which only helps feed even more air into my intake while giving the front a unique look.