E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aftermarket wheels vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

I thought I had a deal to get a set of OEM style 124s, but the seller decided to hold off for a few months (not sure if he is still really interested). I would still like to get a set of 18" wheels since I plan on using the 17" wheels for my winter tires. I pick up the car in 2 weeks.

I still like the style 124 wheels, but have found a few others I like. I would also prefer not running a staggerd set, but could do either. Rondell (Germany)has a style very similar to the 124 as well as 2 piece bbs style wheel. FM (Italy) also a few replica wheels, style 124 as well as M-Parallel wheels, that I like.

I have search various boards, but haven't found anything definitive about the quality of aftermarket wheels. I realize strength and weight are important, but how do you find out how good a manufacturer is other than anedotal posts here and there? Any idea of the quality of Rondell or FM? Is Rondell consider a replica maker? Are there any disadvantage of going to a 2 piece wheel?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

you might want to email or pm presley348. see this post in classified forum .
Old 02-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Contributors

I wouldn't touch aftermarket wheels with a ten foot pole.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Contributors

The quality of rondell is supposedly pretty decent. They're kind of heavy though.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ScorpioBMW1' date='Feb 28 2005, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't touch aftermarket wheels with a ten foot pole.
[snapback]95388[/snapback]
That opinion is rather uninformed. If you deal with reputable tire and wheel vendors, you can save a lot of money, and upgrade your quality.

BBS 'aftermarket' wheels are some of the best wheels you can buy. If you check your OEM BMW rims for the 545, the top of the line 18" wheels have the BBS stamp on the inside. These are gravity cast aluminum rims that weigh 32 and 34 lbs respectively. Typically BMW charges about 50% more for these rims than 'aftermarket' suppliers will charge for equal or better wheels.

Better BBS rims can be bought for about the same price as BMW charges for the OEM BBS rims if you buy from Tirerack, or another good supplier. I use the OEM rims for my 'winter' tires, and use 19" 2 pc forged BBS rims for my 'summer' setup. The forged rims are much stronger than the cast, and although larger, weigh only 22 and 24 lbs respectively.

The bottom line is if you are thinking of buying wheels, use a quality aftermarket vendor, and you can get much higher quality wheels for a lower price than OEM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

I'm using replica design 124 17" wheels for my winter setup.
The wheels have proved to be above average. They balanced up with minimal
weights, have a good finish and were very cost effective.

No complaints, no worries.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Rondell is one of BMW's OEM manufacturers. They make style 32 - and I assume others. Their quality should be fine.

As I understand it, German companies that adhere to TUV standards should be very high quality products. TUV is somewhat like the DOT here in the US, and you'll see TUV approved, or meets TUV standards on products.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by John W' date='Mar 4 2005, 09:54 PM
TUV is somewhat like the DOT here in the US, and you'll see TUV approved, or meets TUV standards on products.
[snapback]97278[/snapback]
Yep.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by macct' date='Feb 1 2005, 10:27 PM
I thought I had a deal to get a set of OEM style 124s, but the seller decided to hold off for a few months (not sure if he is still really interested).? I would still like to get a set of 18" wheels since I plan on using the 17" wheels for my winter tires.? I pick up the car in 2 weeks.

I still like the style 124 wheels, but have found a few others I like.? I would also prefer not running a staggerd set, but could do either.? Rondell (Germany)has a style very similar to the 124 as well as 2 piece bbs style wheel.? FM (Italy) also a few replica wheels, style 124 as well as M-Parallel wheels, that I like.?

I have search various boards, but haven't found anything definitive about the quality of aftermarket wheels.? I realize strength and weight are important, but how do you find out how good a manufacturer is other than anedotal posts here and there?? Any idea of the quality of Rondell or FM?? Is Rondell consider a replica maker? Are there any disadvantage of going to a 2 piece wheel??

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
[snapback]85908[/snapback]

Hi macct!

So you want a set of new BMW OEM 124 wheels! You know I am looking at that same wheel also, along with the #89 for my new e60 530i, and the best BMW dealer price that I found them at is in Scottdale AZ a/k/a Chapman BMW: Chapman BMW Wheels.com

For the BMW OEM 124 their price is only $297.00 for an 8x18 wheel:
(MSRP $387.00)

CLICK ON: http://bmwwheels.com/bmwwheels_detai...124&Series=E60

Concerning your questions about Replica wheels: Just beware, The ones I have are 8x18 Parallel M Replica's, and the quality is not near the same as my BMW OEM wheel was, and I have been trying to get one wheel appearance problem corrected by the vendor, but no help to me what so ever, but a couple of emails, that can be seen now at this forum, CLICK ON: THE WHEEL EXCHANGE

I cannot continue running around town getting laugh at because of my new 2004 530i with a set of new Parallel M mis mismatched set of wheels because one wheel is a lot more "shinier than the other thee!"

These FM Replica wheels that was shipped that way from the very start, and was reported by me to the FM Replica wheel vendor in Dec 04 and Jan 05, and I am still waiting for their answer!

This is forcing me to sell my 8x18 Replicas and going back to BMW OEM wheels. I have learned a very expensive lesson and had to get them SONAR and Hunter GSP9700 ROAD FORCE wheel balanced at my own expense to get them to ride smooth.

Just be careful in buying your new wheels, for me: I will never again buy BMW fake-Replica wheels, but I wish you the best in your BMW wheel hunt!

Sincerely,

Presley348

BMW OEM Style 89
Aftermarket wheels vs OEM-ss89_1_.jpg

================================================== ===
Below is a actual email for an BMW Mechanic / Tech. friend of mine ce his BMW wheel expert thoughts on: OEM Vs Replica Wheels Pro's and con's:

"Hello again Eddie, sorry it?s taken so long to respond to your ?Private Message? but I?ve barely had time for 6 hours sleep lately. Your ?Balance? problem isn?t uncommon ( almost usual ) with ?Aftermarket? wheels. I only have time for a short a direct response right now but will ?Post? a detailed explanation when time permits. I?ll try to do this in ?Balance Sheet? form and maybe let you make the final decision.

?Plus Side?:
a) distinctiveness
b) great looks
c) sometimes improved handling
d) sometimes easier to clean

?Minus Side?: { just some of the possible problems }
a) usually lower quality { material & workmanship }
b) usually poorer tolerances { overall dimensionally & esp. concentricity }
c) usually much high weight
d) usually require ?centering spacer shims?
e) in the case of ?PLUS 1 or +2? sizing { going from 17? to 18? or 19? }, reduced aspect ratios, which means ?thinner? sidewalls with a reduction in energy absorption and an increase in ?harshness? { reduced ride ?quality? & aggravation of road surface & wheel balance problems }.

In short you, usually, gain a great deal in appearance but loose a great deal in ride and feel quality and not in subjective terms though many owners simply grow accustom to the vibration problems having given up attempts to correct them, many of mine say they haven?t noticed obvious steering wheel shimmy until questioned about it!

At what point do the adverse effects the of ?aftermarket? wheels outweigh the cost savings is a personal decision but can prove to be more expensive, as in your case Eddie, in the long run.

The cost if $20.00 per wheel is really cheap considering the work involved in moving the tire on the rim to get the best balance results and well worth it if done properly. Wheel lug bolts only present a problem if length {the threads MUST engage the wheel hub to the same depth as the originally fitted wheels} or if there?s a difference in the replacement wheels bolt flange area {larger, smaller or different angle than the stock wheel}. One should almost ALWAYS wheel bolts supplied by the wheels maker if specific to the car, and ALWAYS use the ?centering Rings? if supplied.

In closing this ?quick? posting, always insist on trueing the tire and wheel first, then having the best ?finish? balancing possible. Though hard to find these days, ?On The Car? dynamic balancing gives the best results but it to is time consuming to perform properly with aftermarket wheels.

I hope this helps you Eddie and though your balance problem can be mitigated with proper balancing techniques, the "Factory" wheels always, in my humble opinion, give the best performance/road feel results.

Best to you and stay in touch.."
(Author: BMW Mechanic Name on File)