5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   aftermarket stereo headunit? (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/aftermarket-stereo-headunit-16083/)

m630 09-21-2005 03:04 PM

wow, well good luck and let us know how it works out :thumbsup:

m5lover 09-24-2005 11:29 PM

I once saw a magazine where the idrive screen is moved towards the front passanger seat(on top of the glove box) and he totally changed his audio system. This was done in Japan.They got some really extreme stuff going on!

de_smet_h 09-25-2005 10:30 PM

find some pics on this website:http://www.a-tack.net

Merzbow 09-26-2005 05:49 PM

I'm now putting a Xenarc car PC in the glovebox and a 7" Xenarc touch screen on the dash because this is the only way I can get optical out from MP3s to my sound system. That is, if my car ever comes back from the dealer for yet another TCU cockup...

de_smet_h 09-26-2005 10:36 PM

faster and better solution: I did some tests:
- get the unit from domfromnav
- get your aux-in
- buy Lacie silverstream (www.lacie.com)

Merzbow 09-26-2005 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by de_smet_h' date='Sep 26 2005, 11:36 PM
faster and better solution: I did some tests:
- get your aux-in
[snapback]175583[/snapback]

Problem with the navwithtv unit is that I don't want to have to switch between iDrive and my computer with some kind of remote that I'll probably lose on the first day, and also I want a touchscreen UI. There are advantages to using the iDrive screen of course - no glare/washout issues, no dash clutter. It's a personal preference.

Another issue with the navwithtv unit is that the video connection is RCA video, not good at all for computer quality.

lmk 09-28-2005 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Sep 27 2005, 03:07 PM
[quote name='de_smet_h' date='Sep 26 2005, 11:36 PM']faster and better solution: I did some tests:
- get your aux-in

Problem with the navwithtv unit is that I don't want to have to switch between iDrive and my computer with some kind of remote that I'll probably lose on the first day, and also I want a touchscreen UI. There are advantages to using the iDrive screen of course - no glare/washout issues, no dash clutter. It's a personal preference.

Another issue with the navwithtv unit is that the video connection is RCA video, not good at all for computer quality.
[snapback]175593[/snapback]
[/quote]

hi,

i wish to add a 7" touch screen too. i am looking at the motorised unit. but i cannot find a good location to mount it. are you going to mount it where you pre amp location was?

can show pics when you have finished?

RCA video is not very ideal and an extra LCD will be the best option. i agree.

Merzbow 09-28-2005 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by lmk' date='Sep 28 2005, 09:40 AM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='Sep 27 2005, 03:07 PM'][quote name='de_smet_h' date='Sep 26 2005, 11:36 PM']faster and better solution: I did some tests:
- get your aux-in

[/quote]

hi,

i wish to add a 7" touch screen too. i am looking at the motorised unit. but i cannot find a good location to mount it. are you going to mount it where you pre amp location was?

[snapback]176389[/snapback]
[/quote]

Don't go motorized, it will block your A/C controls for sure. I'm planning on just having the screen stick out to the right of the iDrive pod - it won't block controls for the driver and will only block a small bit of visibility out the windshield.

lmk 09-28-2005 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Sep 29 2005, 01:48 AM
[quote name='lmk' date='Sep 28 2005, 09:40 AM'][quote name='Merzbow' date='Sep 27 2005, 03:07 PM'][quote name='de_smet_h' date='Sep 26 2005, 11:36 PM']faster and better solution: I did some tests:
- get your aux-in

[/quote]

hi,

[/quote]

Don't go motorized, it will block your A/C controls for sure. I'm planning on just having the screen stick out to the right of the iDrive pod - it won't block controls for the driver and will only block a small bit of visibility out the windshield.
[snapback]176428[/snapback]
[/quote]

have you tried it? i reckon that the 7" is not that small. interesting.

Merzbow 09-29-2005 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by lmk' date='Sep 28 2005, 07:02 PM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='Sep 29 2005, 01:48 AM'][quote name='lmk' date='Sep 28 2005, 09:40 AM'][quote name='Merzbow' date='Sep 27 2005, 03:07 PM'][quote name='de_smet_h' date='Sep 26 2005, 11:36 PM']faster and better solution: I did some tests:
- get your aux-in

[/quote]

hi,

[/quote]

[snapback]176428[/snapback]
[/quote]

have you tried it? i reckon that the 7" is not that small. interesting.
[snapback]176649[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just not possible. To put a unit there you have to move the factory MASK (CD player) down one DIN slot (which is what I've done to accomodate my Alpine head unit). Thus it would be directly below the AC controls, a flip-out screen would certainly block them. It's not possible to put the unit UNDER the MASK since then the shifter would block the screen coming out.