E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aftermarket Navigation-Avic Z2

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Black BMW 525i

Okay people, can I get your thoughts or past experiences with putting an aftermarket navigation system in your E60. I've got an 04 525i that I plan on keeping for another couple of years until I'm finished with law school. Since my car came with Nav prep but with no Nav installed, I've debated whether to order the retro kit online or put in an aftermarket system. After much debate, I ordered the AVIC Z2 with the blue tooth IPOD adapters and rear view camera. I got everything for about $1100.00 Plus an additional $300 for the kit and install. Here's the review on the unit:

AVIC Z2

A custom shop in LA is going to take out the cd player and build a kit to hold double din unit. Instead of tapping the car's wiring, the audio will be run through the Aux input. The CD Player will probably be hid another the seat or something. I'll post pics next week once it's installed. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated welcomed. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Silver Grey E60 M5

Originally Posted by BOBUCRUZ' post='509028' date='Dec 20 2007, 08:47 PM
Okay people, can I get your thoughts or past experiences with putting an aftermarket navigation system in your E60. I've got an 04 525i that I plan on keeping for another couple of years until I'm finished with law school. Since my car came with Nav prep but with no Nav installed, I've debated whether to order the retro kit online or put in an aftermarket system. After much debate, I ordered the AVIC Z2 with the blue tooth IPOD adapters and rear view camera. I got everything for about $1100.00 Plus an additional $300 for the kit and install. Here's the review on the unit:

AVIC Z2

A custom shop in LA is going to take out the cd player and build a kit to hold double din unit. Instead of tapping the car's wiring, the audio will be run through the Aux input. The CD Player will probably be hid another the seat or something. I'll post pics next week once it's installed. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated welcomed. Thanks.
I actually had the AVIC Z1 in my E46 M3 (which I have for sale here http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=190060 ) where I had the TV Tuner, Bluetooth, iPod and bypass to watch the TV/DVD while I drive. It's an awesome unit, touch screen and everything! It was a PITA to install in the E46 because I had to cut and modify my air ducts. But $300 for install doesn't sound too bad, but I wouldn't personally pay more than $200 max to install. I order my stuff online and install myself (bypass the middleman!) so I couldn't recommend a shop in SoCal to do the install, but it sounds like you got your Z2 at a hell of a price! You will seriously enjoy the unit and it is worlds ahead of BMW's Nav, so good luck!!
Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E-ManM5' post='509078' date='Dec 21 2007, 12:34 AM
I actually had the AVIC Z1 in my E46 M3 (which I have for sale here http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=190060 ) where I had the TV Tuner, Bluetooth, iPod and bypass to watch the TV/DVD while I drive. It's an awesome unit, touch screen and everything! It was a PITA to install in the E46 because I had to cut and modify my air ducts. But $300 for install doesn't sound too bad, but I wouldn't personally pay more than $200 max to install. I order my stuff online and install myself (bypass the middleman!) so I couldn't recommend a shop in SoCal to do the install, but it sounds like you got your Z2 at a hell of a price! You will seriously enjoy the unit and it is worlds ahead of BMW's Nav, so good luck!!
Thanks for the feedback. Here are the pics of the install. They're not the greatest, since they're from my cell phone. However, the bluetooth, ipod and navigation all work great. I couldn't be happier.

There was one problem with the install. When I turn the vehicle on, the idrive screen says "head unit not programmed correctly". Since the installer had to disconnect it during the installation (now reconnected), do you think I need to have it reprogrammed. I still works, I just need to clear the message. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Members

I would have never thought of that, good idea
Old 01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by loanman' post='515319' date='Jan 8 2008, 07:16 PM
I would have never thought of that, good idea
Thanks. I debated if for a while and finally pulled the trigger. I couldn't be happier. I still have to get the "head unit not programmed correctly" corrected. Anyone experienced this before???
Old 09-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Members

Hi! I know it's quite an old topic, but I've got a similar problem, and maybe someone is able to help.

I bought a second hand e90 with business navi and everytime I insert the key my iDrive displays "Head Unit not programmed correctly". For few months the message could be easily closed, but currently I usually have to wait few minutes what is quite annoying. I got the car connected to some diagnostic tool and no errors were detected. How can i fix it?