E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aftermarket mods worth anything upon resale?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Got a message this morning that my invoice is ready for my Nov. ED 545, this means that it's time to pay for it now.

It also means that my gracefully aging E36 328i may have to go soon. I'd be pretty sad for a long, long time when it is gone.

I purchased my 328i back in 96 when I was 25. With extra disposable income due to no kids and other responsibilities, I began to mod the car with H&R springs, Bilstein shocks, ACS tower bars, RD swaybars, and 17" OEM M-contour wheels. I didn't go for the M3 at the time bacuse 4-door version wasn't out yet at the time.

My question is, should I put the original parts back and sell the aftermarket components individually? or advertise the car with all the spec's?

I think I heard somewhere that modded car is harder to sell, because people would think that modded car tend to be abused car

Would you guys prejudice a car with many aftermarket components?
Old 09-16-2004, 07:48 AM
Members

Modding your car should never have the thought about recouping your investment, ever.

I put 25K into a AMG C43 and watched it go to a 16 year old who's father bought it from me for a song.....

I have a E46 M3 that I will include a picture of and this time I have learned to keep most of the OEM parts...because on Ebay or the message boards you can always get a portion of your money back, in particular if you did BMW OEM mods like mirrors and rims.

I am getting a 545i today for my wife, she likes mods so this will be fun, however I will most likely wait for the M5 to come out and take whatever OEM mods like front bumper and mirrors and retrofit on hers....

Long winded way of saying...part it out and return to stock. Most people always say" cool car...but I won't pay for your obsession"

G/L
Old 09-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Before you put the original parts back on, you can always test the market and see what you might get for the car.

Put the price you want on it and see what happens. You can go from there.

If the rest of the car is in good shape and you have maint. records, you'll probably find a younger buyer for it.

good luck.

This post should probably be in another forum.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

I sold my 300Z Twin turbo for 50% above high retail because of mods (and condition and demand exceeding supply). Mods were sway bars, intake, exhaust, chip, traction control, rims and stereo.

I considered removing mods but given the labor and the pittance of a return (even on ebay) I left them. It does depend on the mods. I personally think that the car is much better with the mods but if some of yours are less than universally praised, it might be worth it.

I had an add-on traction control system that would have taken 30 minutes to remove and could be sold for up to $500. I had negotiated with one purchaser to remove that and sell for a lower price. In the end, I got more from someone else so it didn't matter. The rims were only $1200 rims (for 4) so that wasn't worth it.

The irrational other argument is that it would be no fun to tear apart your car just as you are having to sell it. And for what - a few hundred dollars...
Old 09-16-2004, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Besides the salvage value from the aftermarket parts, I would also like the parts to go to appreciative uses. Sort of like recycling, or giving new life to old parts.

As for my yet to come ride, the 2 mods that I am considering would be the M-pack front bumpers and 19" rims.

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I am not signed up with many other forums so this is my primary source of info.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

speedracerf4i:

This may be a bit off-topic, but the ED rules require that you pay 30 days before your pick-up date in Munich. So even if your date is Nov 1, you shouldn't need to write a check for a couple of weeks yet.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Sep 16 2004, 11:50 AM
speedracerf4i:

This may be a bit off-topic, but the ED rules require that you pay 30 days before your pick-up date in Munich.? So even if your date is Nov 1, you shouldn't need to write a check for a couple of weeks yet.
True that,

My pick up date is Nov. 5. I am giving myself plenty of time so there are no surprises. I have 2 weeks now to sell me car (or keep it until my new car come in 3 months) and use it to pay BMW, or shop and compare loans.

I didn't want to trade in my old car because they will only give me a song for it.

My business partner just sold his 99 323 for $15,500 by himself because he bought an X5 from the same dealer as mine. The dealer has originally offered $10,000 for his car.

So, anyways, if you were considering an used car, would you guys stay away from ones that shows modification?