E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

AFE -->stock completed

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after about 2 hours today I was able to get my AFE out and put my stock airbox/filter back in. Taking out the AFE took about 10 minutes while puttin the stock back in took the rest of the time. There is absolutely NO space in that engine bay to work with, especially when your hands are big. The tightening clamps were what made it impossible. It is nearly impossible to fit any kind of screwdrivers into the places needed to tighten those bands on the piping, especially the throttle body attachment. THen dealin with the MAF while it is off and trying not to damage it since it kept hitting things accidentally as I tried to fit the stock one back in there.

Anyway finally got it all done and fit perfectly and wow, the performance is night and day. I had my AFE on within 500 miles of getting my car 3 years ago and recently had a few loaner bmw's that reminded me of how I like the higher pitch stock sound of bmw's. My car now has a much quieter but much higher pitch sound compared to a lower growl of the AFE which I admit did sound pretty good but not as good as stock IMO.

I was so anxiosu to do power mods that I put this on almost immediatly when i got the car.

The best part is the performance, the car is so so much quicker in every respect, acceleration, pulling on highway etc.

The only thing wierd I notice is that it takes more of a press of the accelerator to get my car to kick down 2 geras in DS to accelerate hard. I have a SB and with the afe, a touch of the pedal and it would drop 2 gears and go. I am bettin this is really proof that more air is getting in with the afe setup since less accelerator push obviously provides enough air to kick it down 2 gears. However the air is hot and therefore does not produce as much hp.

Anyway any other thoughts on why it is not kicking down as easily? Still totally normal, just not as sensitive.

If anyon wants an afe to give your car a more american sounding low growl pm me
Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

Still loving it even more at this point. Thinking about dropping in an aftermarket filter and possibly this scoop apparatus I read so much about. However even with my stock air filter I have never felt such smooth, linear power as I do now. Car idles more smoothly and overall pulls insanely more smoothly and harder.

I am also enjoying the quiet sound of my car! Man I forgot how loud this AFE thing was and kind of annoying in retrospect. I felt AFE gave the car too much grunt for such a sophisticated machine. I much prefer sound of high revs with stock system.

I have taken out a long time ago, the sound deadening material under the roof. If you want some increase sound you can alwasy remove that. I am guessing a KN filter will also bring out a touch more sound but to me it is perfect stock.

Bmw makes some funny looking mufflers and airboxes and now I know why. They are shaped like that for a reason and they work!

I do have a supersprint muffler which I am happy with. Problem with stock exhaust on bmw is it looks terrible. Too small of tips and not polished nicely, atleast on the e60s (not sure how the new 09 plus 550s look) but prior to that the exhaust was terrible. I enjoy a bit of an increase note with the exhaust as well as the great look of 2 large, polished supersprint pipes.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Get the K&N filter and then get the RPI scoop for better, PROVEN performance!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='805657' date='Mar 2 2009, 02:33 PM
Get the K&N filter and then get the RPI scoop for better, PROVEN performance!
In stock...The RPI Scoop