E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

aFe CAI

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i, 6spd manual, Premium pkg, Cold Weather pkg

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1023904' date='Oct 3 2009, 05:18 PM
The topic of this POS intake has been beaten to death in thread and thread. A number of members installed it and then removed it due to its significant loss of power.
I understand that. I was hoping someone could educate me on why it seems that our cars (E60) experience a loss in power, while others gain. Is it a design issue? Or is this false? Do all cars experience a loss in performance with a CAI. A CAI, no matter the manufacturer, is a popular mod as well as one of the first to be done. Do all cold air intakes become hot air intakes, especially ones with open cones? Are the people who are adding a CAI just not educated enough, or are they only doing it for the sound? Could a heat resistant box be made to block the open cone from the engine bay heat? I apologize I'm not as educated as some, I just recruit kids to become gear heads! LOL!

I've got the RPi Ram Air Kit, along with their GT Exhaust. I don't plan on purchasing the aFe. I guess I should have renamed the thread to just Cold Air Intakes. I'm only asking this question because of what I saw in the magazine, and thanks to Gene, I've read the thread that has already covered this article.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by jhnnyfiv' post='1023924' date='Oct 3 2009, 06:04 PM
I understand that. I was hoping someone could educate me on why it seems that our cars (E60) experience a loss in power, while others gain. Is it a design issue? Or is this false? Do all cars experience a loss in performance with a CAI. A CAI, no matter the manufacturer, is a popular mod as well as one of the first to be done. Do all cold air intakes become hot air intakes, especially ones with open cones? Are the people who are adding a CAI just not educated enough, or are they only doing it for the sound? Could a heat resistant box be made to block the open cone from the engine bay heat? I apologize I'm not as educated as some, I just recruit kids to become gear heads! LOL!

I've got the RPi Ram Air Kit, along with their GT Exhaust. I don't plan on purchasing the aFe. I guess I should have renamed the thread to just Cold Air Intakes. I'm only asking this question because of what I saw in the magazine, and thanks to Gene, I've read the thread that has already covered this article.
Since you've already got the RPI Ram Air Kit and RPI exhaust, you're pretty set on the intake and exhaust/breathing department. I have read of reports of big power loss with the Dinan intake. But I am not aware of dramatic gains with our cars with any of the intakes.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1023953' date='Oct 3 2009, 04:08 PM
Since you've already got the RPI Ram Air Kit and RPI exhaust, you're pretty set on the intake and exhaust/breathing department. I have read of reports of big power loss with the Dinan intake. But I am not aware of dramatic gains with our cars with any of the intakes.
you wouldn't happen to know which thread/s you read that in....AFAIK, the dinan intake is an enclosed box set-up as well....

I've read of less than advertised performace gains with Dinan flashes....but not read of "big power losses with the Dinan Intake"
Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='1023990' date='Oct 3 2009, 09:01 PM
you wouldn't happen to know which thread/s you read that in....AFAIK, the dinan intake is an enclosed box set-up as well....

I've read of less than advertised performace gains with Dinan flashes....but not read of "big power losses with the Dinan Intake"
My apologies Gene, this is a typo when I was posting from my Blackberry. I meant to write that I have "not" read of big power losses with the Dinan Intake. Left out the word not. Oops. My bad.