5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   advice re changing trim (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/advice-re-changing-trim-1464/)

sg530 06-26-2004 09:56 PM

As you all know, US cars were dificult to get with titanium trim inside. <_< Dealer said I couldn't :angry: have it even though it was in book (because I had premium package). So, I have wood trim, looks ok. I have grey inside and grey outside, and prefer techno look for trim. B) I have reviewed trim kits and find them lacking. ;) I like the finish on the titanium and its durability compared to paint. So, before I ask the dealer to order a trim set (if that is even possible) I'd like suggestions.
Clearly, if someone had the titanium and wanted the wood, I could exchange. Does somebody like that even exist in the US? (I assume all trim comes off easily enough for me to to do it without specialized tools) :blink:

kigerka 06-26-2004 10:14 PM

You have to be hard on your sales rep. I liked the trim as well and I got it. The dealer screwed up and had to pay out of pocket to put titanium back in to it. He tried to fight but lost the battle. The only problem is that he forgot to order the titanium for the doors which is getting fixed over July 4th weekend. If you look at my pictures you will see titanium on the i-Drive and dash but wood on the doors. It is wierd looking.

I have wood to get rid of if anybody wnats it.

juan2mini 06-27-2004 09:09 AM

kigerka - I have the dark maple on my 545i. I have an early build, I didn't get the wood on the door handles. I have the brushed titanium on the doors. It looks nice but I might be interested in the door pieces of your wood. Does anyone know if I can order these from BMW and have them installed? Thanks, I always enjoy this forum.

kigerka 06-27-2004 09:37 AM

Yes, you can order them. If you want, you can get mine or get new. I would not blame for wanting new ones. :) My door trim will be replaced next weekend.

herb 06-27-2004 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Jun 26 2004, 11:56 PM
As you all know, US cars were dificult to get with titanium trim inside. <_< Dealer said I couldn't :angry: have it even though it was in book (because I had premium package). So, I have wood trim, looks ok. I have grey inside and grey outside, and prefer techno look for trim. B) I have reviewed trim kits and find them lacking. ;) I like the finish on the titanium and its durability compared to paint. So, before I ask the dealer to order a trim set (if that is even possible) I'd like suggestions.
Clearly, if someone had the titanium and wanted the wood, I could exchange. Does somebody like that even exist in the US? (I assume all trim comes off easily enough for me to to do it without specialized tools) :blink:

i have replaced wood trim to tintanium trim for a customer car and i dint like the way the dash trim look and shift console ... the trim for the dash and shift console are very light cheap plastic and its all only painted titanium like color and doesnt look right coz it did not match the trim on door handle (door handle trim are aluminum ) if i were to pay $700-800 + install fees i would not do it

hinckley 06-27-2004 03:58 PM

I've got a recent build with anthracite trim. The newer cars come with wood door pulls rather than titanium. I prefer the titanium on the doors. Anyone out there want to swap anthracite for titanium door pulls?

sg530 06-27-2004 06:05 PM

Ok, so I am not a minority of one wanting the titanium trim. I am surprised at the not matching comment. I saw the trim at the dealer last year and it matched well. It also felt cheap in some places. I would entertain the idea of wrapping metal over the trim or maybe plating? Further ideas?

530E60NL 06-27-2004 10:23 PM

I have to say that I also find the used trim materials looking cheap. My mothers 3 series has a wood trim too and that trim doesn't look plastic but just like real wood (and not cheap). Especially at the air-outleds in the 5 series dashboard it looks so thin that nobody will ever think it is real wood.

I don't know what others opinions are on this subject but in the Mercedes E-Class the wood looks like real wood combined with a little chrom it looks so "rich" and nice.

But hey! I still want the 5-er because it is a beautiful car.

rodybmw 06-28-2004 12:33 AM

I am also going to swap out the wood trim to either Titanium or Aluminum once I get my 2005 545i. Knowing BMW NA's track record I have already prepared myself for their denial of my Titan request, and am planning on buying the trim pieces and replacing them myself.

Some of you have mentioned that the Titan trim on the dash and center console does not match the trim on the door pulls. The reason is that the Titan trim on the door pulls that came with early production wood trim E60's <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>IS NOT </span>Titan II like the dash. The door trim is actually called "Ruthenium", which is not as matte as the Titan Trim on the dash and center console. The ETK Parts CD actually has part numbers for both Titan II and Ruthenium door pulls, but all the E60's that I personally have seen here in the US which had wood dash trim but metal door pulls had the Ruthenium (not Titan). I don't know whether the base model 525i and 530i in the US, which come with Titan dash trim as the standard trim actually have Titan or Ruthenium on the door pulls.

I think the "Aluminum Trim" which is not available on US E60's is real metal (not plastic), however, it does have a diamond like pattern. I have only seen the Aluminum trim in pictures and I don't like the diamond pattern, but I am going to check it out in person when I do my Euro Delivery next year. If I like it I will probably buy that instead of the Titan. Otherwise I will get the Titan. I would rather have plastic painted to look like metal than real wood any day. I just don't like wood.

rodybmw

rodybmw 06-28-2004 01:40 AM

I am posting three pages from the ETK CD below. The first page has all the pieces and part numbers for the Aluminum Trim. Remember this is NOT the Titan trim.....even though many people use the term "Aluminum Trim" as a generic term to describe any trims with a metal look. This is the trim that has something like a diamond pattern on it.

The second and third pages that I am posting show the trim parts and part numbers of all the Titan II parts. For some reason they are shown on two pages instead of one page like the Aluminum.

If anyone wants to order these pieces don't just rely on the part numbers in these pictures. You can take the part numbers to the dealer's parts department, but also have the parts guy confirm that they are the correct numbers. I would not want to cause any problems for anyone by posting incorrect part numbers. :rolleyes:

rodybmw

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Here's the Info on the Aluminum Trim</span>
http://photos.imageevent.com/rody/et...num%20Trim.jpg

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Here's the Titan II Dash Trim</span>
http://photos.imageevent.com/rody/et...ash%20Trim.jpg

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Here's the Titan II Center Console & Ashtray Cover Trim</span>
http://photos.imageevent.com/rody/et...e%20Trim_1.jpg