E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adding suspension upgrades to my 07 550I What should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. now where is that rod coming from?
I believe that rod is the shock rod extending out
Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

the shocks rip thru the top cover of the coilover set up, just like what I initially figure out
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

i wonder what the installer did or maybe the coilovers were just bad. hmm

Originally Posted by al_ongvano
the shocks rip thru the top cover of the coilover set up, just like what I initially figure out
Old 06-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Senior Members

I am not familiar with coilovers, does it come assembled and a plug and play set up.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Looks like he either didn't use the top hat (some coilovers need to reuse the stock ones) OR he didn't install them correctly and didn't tighten everything up out of the box. Everything comes in the box pretty loose remember Michael? We had to tighten up everything when we did mine.

Should've gone with KSports
Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

Should have gone with Ksports...

I am too fucking pissed off. Just sent them an email and i expect they will call in the morning. I will be expecting a refund asap and with that the cost of the H&R, the cost of the install of the sport suspension and the missing liner.

Should have just driven the 3 hours up to turnermotorsports and took the day off . Now I might even miss my track day at Monticello and if that happens...
Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Looks like he either didn't use the top hat (some coilovers need to reuse the stock ones) OR he didn't install them correctly and didn't tighten everything up out of the box. Everything comes in the box pretty loose remember Michael? We had to tighten up everything when we did mine.

Should've gone with KSports
I just checked HR coilover at TireRack and they don't come with the top hat. They OEM top hat was reuse and didn't put the washer to the shocks before mounting the top hat. The OEM top hat center is made of hard rubber material to absorb vibration, to keep the shocks from poking thru, a washer which is part of the OEM set up need to be reuse and mounted the same way.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

I am not familiar with coilovers, does it come assembled and a plug and play set up.
yes complete sealed package
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I just checked HR coilover at TireRack and they don't come with the top hat. They OEM top hat was reuse and didn't put the washer to the shocks before mounting the top hat. The OEM top hat center is made of hard rubber material to absorb vibration, to keep the shocks from poking thru, a washer which is part of the OEM set up need to be reuse and mounted the same way.
Ah,so I was right, he didn't install the OEM top hat correctly. Seem silly that H&R would reuse the OEM one, they aren't really designed for the kind of load that coils will give are they? I remember taking my H&R springs off my OEM shocks there were 2 washers in there weren't there, or was that the fronts?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Contributors

So I actually dont have all the parts to do a complete reinstall of the stock suspension?

I am going to have to have the car flat bedded up to turnermotorssports or to the dealership crap fuck this is gonna be 7 hr install yes?

Quick Reply: Adding suspension upgrades to my 07 550I What should I expect?