E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adding an amplifier to the Hi-Fi Stereo??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to add an amplifier to the Hi-Fi Stereo I would assume I'd do the following:
  1. Locate the amp somewhere in the front passenger footwell under the glovebox
  2. Take the speaker outputs from the Head unit and connect to the amp (assumably with high level inputs).
    Or use a some kind of speaker to line converter, and them into a standard low level input amp.
  3. Take the output from the amp and connect back into the speaker wires that were cut in the previous step.
  4. Feed the amp power from the battery and find a 12v on/off power feed

I know the subwoofers are a separate issue that has been discussed at great length. I'm only concerned with mids& highs.

what type of amp would be best? A 4-channel amp? 2 2-channel amps so the stock fader will still work?

Has anyone done something like this?

What fits well? Any pictures available?

I've already done the BSW upgrade, and in the future I'm going to install the earthquake subs w/ an amp

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the amp in the trunk over the drivers side rear wheel well? I think the Amp is connted to the head unit(MASK or CCC) via fiber.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by noonehome' post='763700' date='Jan 9 2009, 12:44 PM
Isn't the amp in the trunk over the drivers side rear wheel well? I think the Amp is connted to the head unit(MASK or CCC) via fiber.
Yes, the sub wooffer amp that I'll be replacing when I do my sub woofer upgrade resides on the left rear wheel well. I believe I'm all set on performing that upgrade.

I'm only looking for information on boosting/amplifying the signals to the Mids and Tweeters that are driven by the head unit.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done something like this to the E60.

Anybody? Bueller?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

There is no amp for the mids and highs. They are driven by the HU itself.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='764001' date='Jan 9 2009, 06:31 PM
There is no amp for the mids and highs. They are driven by the HU itself.
Yes, Bruce,

I will be following your thread to upgrade my subs, thank you!

I know the mids and tweets are powered by the head unit. This is exactly the problem. I would like to increase the power to the mids and tweeters w/o changing the head unit. I would also like to avoid a total rewiring of all speakers. Thus I'd like to boost the power from the output of the HU to solely increase power to the mids and tweeters (subs to be done per your method). I was hoping that there was a small amp that could fit near the passenger footwell (somewhere near the HU).

Has anybody done this or researched this and deemed it impossible?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Problem is that most amps with power are not small. There isn't a lot of space available between the dashboard to hide things like amps. I was lucky to find an amp that I could hide away behind. Instead why don't you try installing a new amp below the parcel shelf and amplify only the mids and highs on the parcel shelf leaving the doors untouched. You may find the volume enough with just the back amplified.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='764339' date='Jan 10 2009, 05:10 PM
Problem is that most amps with power are not small. There isn't a lot of space available between the dashboard to hide things like amps. I was lucky to find an amp that I could hide away behind. Instead why don't you try installing a new amp below the parcel shelf and amplify only the mids and highs on the parcel shelf leaving the doors untouched. You may find the volume enough with just the back amplified.

Bruce,

Would adding a Blaupunkt THA275 PnP amplifier be a solution? It's a relatively easy to mount amplifier when you have the non-Hifi stereo. You could also use the 4-channel version of course. Perhaps it will also work with the Hifi option.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 523i M-Sport

So if the mids/tweeters are powered from the HU, is the speaker cable direct from the HU or does it run from the amp?

I would have thought it went:

Source ---> Fibre Optic Cable ---> Amp in Boot ---> Speaker cable ---> All speakers

But now reading this im thinking there is a loop for the mids/tweeters and the amp is only for certain speakers? I'm quiet intersted in this as I've just began my audio upgrade and need to know where to tap source from.