E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Adaptive Brake Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2

I happend to be digging in the glove compartment this evening and started going through the manual and various papers. In there was the original window sticker and as I was reading through, "Adaptive Brake Lights" was listed as one of the options. I turned to the manual and could not locate anything on adaptive brake lights, but did find something vague about "Brake Force Lights"...

Is this the same thing and is it useful or a gimic? Just curious...
Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by SAP_MAN' post='639877' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:05 AM
I happend to be digging in the glove compartment this evening and started going through the manual and various papers. In there was the original window sticker and as I was reading through, "Adaptive Brake Lights" was listed as one of the options. I turned to the manual and could not locate anything on adaptive brake lights, but did find something vague about "Brake Force Lights"...

Is this the same thing and is it useful or a gimic? Just curious...
Whoever typed up the window sticker probably got the Adaptive headlights and Brake force display mixed up.

BFD lets the driver behind you know you stamped hard on the brakes just before he ploughs into you. There are two areas that light up on the rear light cluster with hard breaking, normally just one area.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/5ser...rakelights.html

I love the adaptive headlights though.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/5ser...tive_light.html
Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='639882' date='Aug 4 2008, 10:12 PM
Whoever typed up the window sticker probably got the Adaptive headlights and Break force display mixed up.

BFD lets the driver behind you know you stamped hard on the brakes just before he ploughs into you. There are two areas that light up on the rear light cluster with hard breaking, normally just one area.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/5ser...rakelights.html

I love the adaptive headlights though.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/5ser...tive_light.html
I think *both* of you are confused

I have "adaptive brake lights" on my window sticker as well.... But yea, the two round lights in the rear illuminuates during hard braking, although I've never seen a brake force "display" on the dash.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Guys, Adaptive Brake Lights and Brake Force Display are BMW marketing buzz words for varying markets that mean the same thing. Or, in simple terms, Adaptive Brake Lights = Brake Force Display.

Adaptive Brake Lights:
BMWUSA - Adaptive Brake Lights
Adaptive Brake Lights
Bumper-to-bumper collisions most often occur when the driver behind you didn't realize how hard you were braking. Our Adaptive Brake Lights help eliminate that scenario by emitting a larger, brighter light the more force you use. It allows those behind you to clearly see whether you're lightly tapping the brakes to slow down or applying full force for a sudden stop.

Brake Force Display
BMW - Brake Force Display
Brake Force Display on the BMW 5 Series Sedan.
Sudden stops - emergency braking - are not a regular element of everyday driving. But it's precisely at these moments that the fast reactions of drivers are most important. Brake Force Display is a dual-stage brake light system. For normal braking, both main light elements are illuminated; for harder, sudden braking, the rear fog lights also glow bright. Drivers behind intuitively understand and can react accordingly.

Of course, these are fairly gimmicky - those driving behind you must either 1) Know your car has such technology, and can recognize the different intensities based on model or 2) Followed you long enough to have observed normal braking displays vs full-force stops. A person whose never been exposed to such a system wouldn't be able to instantly recognize a panic stop from standard just by the brake lights alone.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Also this comes on only when the ABS comes on. How many times while driving has your ABS turned on - if it does can you please identify yourself and the route you normally take, will make sure I'm not behind you.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='639930' date='Aug 5 2008, 03:29 AM
Of course, these are fairly gimmicky - those driving behind you must either 1) Know your car has such technology, and can recognize the different intensities based on model or 2) Followed you long enough to have observed normal braking displays vs full-force stops. A person whose never been exposed to such a system wouldn't be able to instantly recognize a panic stop from standard just by the brake lights alone.

Good point. Never thought of it like that. I thought it was a cool safety feature until I saw this post. I agree with you. It's almost silly, if you think about it.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2

+1

Good points, that's for sure... interesting how they design in these 'safety features' and certain assumptions need to be made (about those that are following in this case)....

You know what they say when you "ASS-u-ME"....
Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by peter@vmrwheels' post='639888' date='Aug 5 2008, 01:21 AM
I think *both* of you are confused

I have "adaptive brake lights" on my window sticker as well.... But yea, the two round lights in the rear illuminuates during hard braking, although I've never seen a brake force "display" on the dash.
Confused? I was just remembering the windows sticker of a Z4 I saw the other day, stating manual transmission even though it was an auto..

Reading my car manual is states Brake Force Display and Adaptive Headlights only.

BMW corporate site has Brake Force Display and BMW USA has Adaptive brake lights...maybe that was done by BMWNA marketing so people over here don't think it has a display on the dash...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='640182' date='Aug 5 2008, 10:19 AM
Confused? I was just remembering the windows sticker of a Z4 I saw the other day, stating manual transmission even though it was an auto..

Reading my car manual is states Brake Force Display and Adaptive Headlights only.

BMW corporate site has Brake Force Display and BMW USA has Adaptive brake lights...maybe that was dones by BMWNA marketing so people over here don't think it has a display on the dash...

The key is the market. In the European market, "For normal braking, both main light elements are illuminated; for harder, sudden braking, the rear fog lights also glow bright."

We dumb Americans are too slow to have rear fog lights, so on BMWUSA market cars, "Our Adaptive Brake Lights help eliminate that scenario by emitting a larger, brighter light the more force you use."

Of course we don't get auto mirrors, windows that roll up with the key fob, sexy clear sides on our headlights (Pre-LCI of course), yadda yadda yadda.