E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ACS Style Front Lip...Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of ordering a 530i and have been contemplating installing a front lip spoiler. I am not crazy about spending $2,000 for a mod after paying $60,000 for a car. After researching the issue I preferred the look of the ACS style front lip over the M Tech. The ACS front lip would still be expensive. But I noticed on the classified page that Factor One Garage was selling an add on for about $200. What does everyone think about it? According to those who have ordered the attachment, the fit and quality is very good. Does anyone have any problems with ordering the product? Sometimes you pay for what you get. But there are also instances when a good deal is a good deal. What do I give up with this type of mod? Thank you in advance for your input.

http://factoronegarage.easystorecreator.ne...e_E60_Front_ Lip
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

I ordered one from FactorOneGarage and have been very happy so far. They have been great to deal with. I am having the lip painted (dropped it off this afternoon). I have posted initial pics in the classified section, and will post pics once it is painted and installed.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Klepper' post='307320' date='Jul 5 2006, 11:11 PM
I ordered one from FactorOneGarage and have been very happy so far. They have been great to deal with. I am having the lip painted (dropped it off this afternoon). I have posted initial pics in the classified section, and will post pics once it is painted and installed.
How much are you paying to have it painted? I just want to get an estimate. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2006, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

Originally Posted by B2Blain' post='307343' date='Jul 6 2006, 12:00 AM
How much are you paying to have it painted? I just want to get an estimate. Thanks!
I took the lip to a higher end bodyshop, which was actually recommended by my dealer. When I got there, there were 2 M5's in the parking lot, as well as a number of other top end cars (which right away told me it was going to be expensive). They decsribed preping the lip (sanding, filling in imperfections, etc.) followed by priming, base, and clearcoats all baked in their booth. They then were going to remove the bumper to install (not sure why they wanted to do that, but they said it was the best way) using urethane adhesive, and industrial tape to attach it, and that there work was guaranteed for life. The quote for that whole process was $406.

To make a long story somewhat shorter, I decide to just have them prep, prime, and paint the lip. That is costing me $157. I am going to install it myself (hopefully not a mistake).

My next question is - can anyone recommend an brand of adhesive and tape to use, and where to purchase it?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Klepper' post='307472' date='Jul 6 2006, 09:01 AM
To make a long story somewhat shorter, I decide to just have them prep, prime, and paint the lip. That is costing me $157. I am going to install it myself (hopefully not a mistake).

My next question is - can anyone recommend an brand of adhesive and tape to use, and where to purchase it?
I've seen where people have recommeded 3M doubled sides adhesive. I am probably the wrong person to ask.

Good luck with doing it yourself. Let me know how it works out. I look foward to seeing your pics of your mod.

Is there any cutting or disaseembly of the existing bumper?
Old 07-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributors

No, no cutting or modifying required. There are two existing plastic pieces that fit around the foglights that need to be removed, but these just pop out, and can be popped right back in (I have had them in and out a few times already with fitting the lip). I am sure any kind of adhesive would not be good on the paint, but I think this mod is completely reversable if you are willing to repaint the lower part of the bumper.

Anyone else have any suggestions on adhesive?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Klepper' post='307472' date='Jul 6 2006, 10:01 AM
I took the lip to a higher end bodyshop, which was actually recommended by my dealer. When I got there, there were 2 M5's in the parking lot, as well as a number of other top end cars (which right away told me it was going to be expensive). They decsribed preping the lip (sanding, filling in imperfections, etc.) followed by priming, base, and clearcoats all baked in their booth. They then were going to remove the bumper to install (not sure why they wanted to do that, but they said it was the best way) using urethane adhesive, and industrial tape to attach it, and that there work was guaranteed for life. The quote for that whole process was $406.

I paid $300 for my ACS front lip painted. Owner said that's a great deal. Is that right???
We've 2 ACS front painted so we got discounted.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gl996turbo' post='307944' date='Jul 7 2006, 10:08 AM
I paid $300 for my ACS front lip painted. Owner said that's a great deal. Is that right???
Did you install it yourself? If so, how did you attach it?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Anyone else have any suggestions on adhesive?
[/quote]

I have a M-tech front lip but I have had ACS roof and trunk spoilers installed. The spoiler kits from ACS recommend and supply a liquid adhesive for durability.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gl996turbo' post='307944' date='Jul 7 2006, 08:08 AM
Can you post pictures please?

Quick Reply: ACS Style Front Lip...Opinions?