E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ACM Retrofit can bus issue USA

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

The CON ( idrive wheel ) does not work right after ACM install on my 01/04 545i. I think the problem is the can bus adaptor, maybe it is the wrong part for my car. The ACM used is 65 50 0 441 374 and the can bus adaptor used is 61 35 0 441 373 my vin number is WBANB33534B087537 All parts are new from Rover Active. I have two retrofit kits and both are identical, I tested both sets, so I do not believe I got two defective ACM kits. I would love to look at a guidebook that shows what part to use on what car but I do not know of one or have access to the real one from BMW out here in America.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='820924' date='Mar 19 2009, 06:44 AM
The CON ( idrive wheel ) does not work right after ACM install on my 01/04 545i. I think the problem is the can bus adaptor, maybe it is the wrong part for my car. The ACM used is 65 50 0 441 374 and the can bus adaptor used is 61 35 0 441 373 my vin number is WBANB33534B087537 All parts are new from Rover Active. I have two retrofit kits and both are identical, I tested both sets, so I do not believe I got two defective ACM kits. I would love to look at a guidebook that shows what part to use on what car but I do not know of one or have access to the real one from BMW out here in America.
Hi

Are you sure your K_Can-bus wire's are conected right to the ACM unit ? , if they get switched , there will be problems withe the other units on the Bus string , so please control this , remember in the car Yellow wire = K_Can-Bus LOW & Black wire = K_Can-Bus HIGH ( the wire's are twisted together )
Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Originally Posted by thedreamshop' post='820924' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:44 PM

I think the correct Part for 545i is this: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=95
Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='820946' date='Mar 18 2009, 11:35 PM
Hi

Are you sure your K_Can-bus wire's are conected right to the ACM unit ? , if they get switched , there will be problems withe the other units on the Bus string , so please control this , remember in the car Yellow wire = K_Can-Bus LOW & Black wire = K_Can-Bus HIGH ( the wire's are twisted together )

I have been double checking the harness for a mistake but it seems to be correct. I used a DMM with the can bus adaptor unplugged hoping to find a can bus wire crossed. I will verify the wires used in the ACM harness line up with the can bus wires as you mentioned. The can wires in the retrofit harness are not black and yellow they are orange and green orange I will verify tonight.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by miguex' post='821029' date='Mar 19 2009, 05:23 AM
I think the correct Part for 545i is this: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=95

OK now I think I am getting somewhere. I see three different can bus part numbers their. How do I find out if the one I am using is correct? ( Keep in mind the dealers in the US can't help me )
Old 03-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BenAnd' post='820946' date='Mar 18 2009, 10:35 PM
Hi

Are you sure your K_Can-bus wire's are connected right to the ACM unit ? , if they get switched , there will be problems withe the other units on the Bus string , so please control this , remember in the car Yellow wire = K_Can-Bus LOW & Black wire = K_Can-Bus HIGH ( the wire's are twisted together )
Sorry for the double reply here. I just checked it out and the ACM harness orange/ green lines up with K can black and the orange/green is K can high. I also traced the wires from the CON to the can bus and back to the CON looking for a mistake since the high and low wires are the same color for can in and can out but unfortunately there is no mistake in the wiring. Anybody out there have a chart that shows how to chose which can bus adaptor to use on my car?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

If you are using the OEM ACM kit then why are you having you join wires manually? Everything should be simply plug and play. There are various people who have installed the ACM in the US without a problem. I infact bought my ACM from a US guy second hand and it worked fine on his car. I sold a brand new ACM to a guy in the US and that worked fine too. I think its something else.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='821325' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:25 PM
If you are using the OEM ACM kit then why are you having you join wires manually? Everything should be simply plug and play. There are various people who have installed the ACM in the US without a problem. I infact bought my ACM from a US guy second hand and it worked fine on his car. I sold a brand new ACM to a guy in the US and that worked fine too. I think its something else.

You might be right, I will not know for sure until I find the problem, it could be software, hardware, or even installation. I am not splicing any wires, it is all plug and play on the ACM harness minus the earth and power connections. Once you have plugged it in and it still does not work correctly then you are stuck troubleshooting something where you have limited access to information. That is why I am asking the community for help. Someone out there has access to a chart that shows what ACM kit and CAN bus adaptor go with what build date of vehicle. We have charts like that here on E60 forums for bluetooth and MP3 compatibility. By the way the problem with the CON relates to the electromagnetic engagement, I can still push down for enter and up/down/left/right but spin does not respond correctly in the ACM menu and it does not respond to spin at all in the iDrive menu. On an autologic scan tool a little turn on the CON wheel shows up as thousands of revolutions. I was using a DMM to verify that the retrofit harness did have any mistakes in the pin configuration since I do not have much else to test out at this point. I have two sets of ACM retrofit kits so I was also able to even try two ACM units and two can bus adaptors, just in case I had a defective one. Did you try to use the same can bus adaptor that I did along with the same ACM unit as me in a similar build date car?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='821325' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:25 PM

Bruce, I just found out for sure that the can bus adaptor being used is wrong. I just did an ACM in an 08 M5 with click type CON wheel with the same ACM and CAN bus parts and the CON wheel works fine. The CAN bus adaptor I used is level two and I assume I need the level one shown here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=65&fg=95

I think this is the one I need for my car: 61 35 0 418 000 which is the only other one listed for cars before 03/07 mine is a 01/04. I do not have a way to verify this but this has to be it. So to let everyone out there that wants to add the ACM there is more than one part number for the CAN bus and it has to be right for the CON to work fine. Hope this helps everyone else avoid this mistake I made. I will post a DIY thread once it is complete with the right parts.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

You may well be right here but I thought (based on the instructions) that the newer ACM versions just superceeded previous versions and they were not related to the age of the car.

Quick Reply: ACM Retrofit can bus issue USA