E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Aaaarrgghhh to Harte or not to Hartge

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Okay,

I'm in a big, big, huuuugghheee debate with myself. I can get a good deal on a Hartge set of wheels, they are not new (only used for a week says the seller.. mmmhhh not?). I'm sick and tired with my runflat tires under my car, they are very noisy and definately not comfortable. The set is 19 inch with normal continental sport tires (version 2 or something). My father in law has these under his porsche and they are not noisy. But 19 inch is bigger and maybe comfort wise nothing will change. Lookwise they look awesome but this is my businesscar and I need to visit clients with it. I don't want it too look to sporty or to (sorry for the ones that have big wheels, no offence) pimpy.. Secondly they are 50% off a new set of wheels (so very low cost) but moneywise it may be better to keep the money in my business.

My wife says no to the wheels, to sporty to aggresive in her vision. Personally if the comfort improvise I might take the leap. Aaarrghh..

I think I'm gonna wait with buying them and with our meet in Germany drive up with fellow members to see if I am anal about my tirenoise/comfort or if it is just my car.
I already checked my pressure and it was to high. I lowered it to normal proportions (in the door) and the ride has improved a tiny bit but the noise is still bad.

People who changed from 18 inch runflats to 19 inch wheels with normal tires. How is the ride, is it better and more comfortable? Or isn't there much difference??

I also like the safety aspect of the runflats a lot, but again the sacrifice in comfort is starting to brake me up a bit. I hope some of you can help me out a bit (by putting me to a halt for spending more money on my car).

TIA guys!

Just saw my writing error.. I meant To hartge or not to hartge.. sorry! Attached a picture with a car in my color with the wheels mounted under it.. :'(
Attached Thumbnails Aaaarrgghhh to Harte or not to Hartge-hartge_e60_2.jpg  
Old 10-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

IMO it doesn't look too pimpy, the car pictured looks lowered which does add to the pimpy/serial modder look.

re ride, I'm on 18's and agree that the ride is a bit choppy, articles on the new m5, running on 19's, have reported that ride comfort is no different to a standard e60 on 18' runflats.

if it were me, for half price i'd probably do it and see if i could get any money back selling off the 18's.

it will seriously enhance the looks of your car and make me very envious

jonboy
Old 10-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

No doubt they are nice Dennis, and if good condition and price pretty tempting as well. However since you use the car as well as a business car, MJ is right...too
sporty and slightly aggressive.

My opinion, what you have is great...since you don't have the spare tyre, stick
with the runflats. The time it is a cold, dark, windy and rainy night - and you get a
flat...you will appreciate them.

Andy.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Members

mine came with the 18" run flats...after about 500 miles on them, i figured they had to go. of course, at that time, i thought, what the wife doesn't know would not hurt her. one winter morning, my set of brand spanking new staggered 19" hartge's came wrapped with Pirelli P-Zero's. to this day, i have not regretted the purchase. i have achieved the subtle look that i want. for me, it doesn't look "pimpy" but a more subtle and refined look. others on this board had opted with chrome, others with painted ones. the bottom line, i think is dependent on what kind of look you want to achieve...after all, i believe that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

ride wise...no complaints, its like riding on rails. although i know the P-Zero's are only good for about 10k miles or so. i have my stock 18's in storage in case the need for them arises in the future. good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Aaaarrgghhh to Harte or not to Hartge-29212389.jpg  
Old 10-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

The most quiet ride has been reported (here and elsewhere) by owner's with the 17" rims and normal tires.

btw, I think the hartge rims look great. But if you need the money for your business, maybe you can trade your 18's for 17's and get that nice, quiet, lux ride that clients would like.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

19" Goodyear F1 GS-D3's the ride is much improved over the 18" runflats. Even if you don't have the spare, if you have BMW assist you might want to consider non-runflats.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Members

No change in the ride, at all. Go ahead, take the plunge!
Attached Thumbnails Aaaarrgghhh to Harte or not to Hartge-img_number3.jpg  
Old 10-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

From 17" run flats to 18" non run flats, big improvement in ride quality. I'll assume same story for 18" to 19"?
Old 10-03-2004, 09:04 PM
Senior Members

530e60nl, i'll take them w/o a second thought if they are 50% off ! you can sell your 18" and that will make the deal more attractive . and i don't think they look "pimpy" at all. in fact, i think they are more "classy" than "sporty".
Old 10-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gf366' date='Oct 3 2004, 05:50 PM
From 17" run flats to 18" non run flats, big improvement in ride quality. I'll assume same story for 18" to 19"?
[snapback]41085[/snapback]
on top of your question, i have one my own, too. how about from 17" non run flats to 19" non run flats? will it affect the ride comfort, noise, handle, etc.? i know it's stupid to ask but other than the wheel set, what else do i need to do/buy? for the guys who have installed after-market wheels w/non run flats, what do you do to "prepare" a flat? bmw assist and a bottle of those temporary "fix tires thing" ?

Quick Reply: Aaaarrgghhh to Harte or not to Hartge