E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The $6VC Combox and the E60 - Install review

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Congrats Bruce, any pics?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

So Bruce, let me get this straight, you added the new Combox w/ CCC, or did you upgrade to the CIC 1st? Sorry If I missed you upgrading your CCC along the way somewhere.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Excellent... is the Telematics portion of the Combox working as well?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by IceyTys
So Bruce, let me get this straight, you added the new Combox w/ CCC, or did you upgrade to the CIC 1st? Sorry If I missed you upgrading your CCC along the way somewhere.
You need to have a CIC to install the combox.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Technic
Excellent... is the Telematics portion of the Combox working as well?
Not yet. I installed the Combox Media, hopefully should move up to the Telematics version shortly, now that I have figured out the wiring. The only thing is to get BMW to register the IMEI with them and also buy the hardware against my VIN.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Not yet. I installed the Combox Media, hopefully should move up to the Telematics version shortly, now that I have figured out the wiring. The only thing is to get BMW to register the IMEI with them and also buy the hardware against my VIN.
Thanks

Is Bluetooth Audio part of the Combox Media?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Yes, brilliant feature. Plus on my HTC HD2 I can get all information to show up on the screen, included all audio controls - even though the BMW site says its not possible.

What I have noticed is that the controls don't work with WMP but work fine with the HTC Media Player. So I'm over the moon. No more need to plug in the phone to get audio. But the best feature of this is that the Combox can pair with 4 devices. So even though my phone may be paired I can use my wife's phone for the BT Audio.

BMW have finally introduced a kit that I am impressed with.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Yes, brilliant feature. Plus on my HTC HD2 I can get all information to show up on the screen, included all audio controls - even though the BMW site says its not possible.

What I have noticed is that the controls don't work with WMP but work fine with the HTC Media Player. So I'm over the moon. No more need to plug in the phone to get audio. But the best feature of this is that the Combox can pair with 4 devices. So even though my phone may be paired I can use my wife's phone for the BT Audio.

BMW have finally introduced a kit that I am impressed with.
So it has the dual channel Bluetooth (Phone and Audio)? I assumed that only the Telematics version has the dual-channel BT...

If I understand correctly, you replaced the TCU with the Combox Media, correct?
Old 02-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Technic
So it has the dual channel Bluetooth (Phone and Audio)? I assumed that only the Telematics version has the dual-channel BT...

If I understand correctly, you replaced the TCU with the Combox Media, correct?
Correct. I went from a Telematics TCU to the Combox Media. So at the moment all the Telematics wires are yet unconnected.

Plus there are four wires that go from the eject box to the TCU, which are not used on the Combox. I intend to use those to send my 6FL to the centre console
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Contributors

Correct. I went from a Telematics TCU to the Combox Media. So at the moment all the Telematics wires are yet unconnected.

Plus there are four wires that go from the eject box to the TCU, which are not used on the Combox. I intend to use those to send my 6FL to the centre console
Nice... very impressive.

Quick Reply: The $6VC Combox and the E60 - Install review