E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

6-spd short shift kits...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

So I had an Autosolutions short shift kit installed in my car. Problems noticed were occasional grinding in reverse and humming in 5th gear and I felt that it was not aggressive enough. Reverse, 1st, 3rd and 5th gear shifts were noticeably shorter than 2nd, 4th and 6th gear. I was unhappy and decided to purchase the rogue shifter for $220. Anyways...after coming back from my mechanic after installation, the results were disappointing.

With Rogue, shift becomes even more rubbery and close to stock and shifts were really long. I noticed the same problem where shifts in gears R,1,3,5 were shorter than on gears 2,4,6. Anyone experienced this problem before??

Anyways, I am not happy with Rogue Engineering or Autosolutions. Autosolutions have better shifting behavior in my opinion when compared to Rogue. I might ask Autosolutions to make me a better shifter and make it more aggressive (say 50% reduction)....or what else could I do?? I read that UUC has similar reduction (30%) as compared to rogue and that's not aggressive at all. Any other shifters out there????? Can somebody help me??
Old 02-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I've had B&M short shifters in my Carreras and like them a lot--nice, crisp, short throws. They also make the Porsche OEM short shifter. Not sure if they make E60 shifters.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i 6speed white/black comfort seats,l7,nav,sat,m-tech

I just ordered a UUC evo 3 ssk. Should be here in a couple of weeks. I plan on having it installed along with cdv removed sometime end of Feb or in March. From what I've gathered UUC makes a great product. I have yet to read about or hear about about any complaints regarding the UUC ssk, I have read some regarding late shippments.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='234363' date='Feb 3 2006, 02:21 PM
So I had an Autosolutions short shift kit installed in my car. Problems noticed were occasional grinding in reverse and humming in 5th gear and I felt that it was not aggressive enough. Reverse, 1st, 3rd and 5th gear shifts were noticeably shorter than 2nd, 4th and 6th gear. I was unhappy and decided to purchase the rogue shifter for $220. Anyways...after coming back from my mechanic after installation, the results were disappointing.

With Rogue, shift becomes even more rubbery and close to stock and shifts were really long. I noticed the same problem where shifts in gears R,1,3,5 were shorter than on gears 2,4,6. Anyone experienced this problem before??

Anyways, I am not happy with Rogue Engineering or Autosolutions. Autosolutions have better shifting behavior in my opinion when compared to Rogue. I might ask Autosolutions to make me a better shifter and make it more aggressive (say 50% reduction)....or what else could I do?? I read that UUC has similar reduction (30%) as compared to rogue and that's not aggressive at all. Any other shifters out there????? Can somebody help me??
Jeffs,
Sorry to hear that you're dissappointed. I also got the Rogue Engineering ssk, it definitely feels more notchy than stock however I do feel that the shifts are shorter than stock by a lot. I had a UUC ssk a while back on my S4 and I had some grinding issues, that's why I didn't go back with UUC. I don't have any grinding issues with the Rogue Engineering SSK (at least not yet), are you having grinding issues with the Rogue or is the grinding just from the Autosolutions ssk? Oh, who did you get the Rogue SSK from?
Old 02-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I got my Rogue ordered by my mechanic who had previously had experience with them. Nothing is wrong with the Rogue system. No grinding (had that in autosolutions), no problems. Problem with Rogue lies with ME. I want something really short and aggressive and Rogue just does not cut it for me. Of course there are improvements between Rogue and stock. In stock form it feels as if I am rowing a boat whenever I shift....still trying to look for a more aggressive shifter...

Oh and B&M doesnt make shifters for E60....sad. Sigh my options are limited. Any other makes you guys know out there that make good aggressive shifters??
Old 02-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6spd, blk on blk, HRE 540R 20x9 in front and 20x10 in rear with Pirelli PZero Neros 245/25/20 front and 295/25/20 rear. H&R springs, and Eisenmann quad exhaust, V! radar detector, black grille, limo tint all around.

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='234479' date='Feb 3 2006, 07:34 PM
In stock form it feels as if I am rowing a boat whenever I shift....still trying to look for a more aggressive shifter...

Oh and B&M doesnt make shifters for E60....sad. Sigh my options are limited. Any other makes you guys know out there that make good aggressive shifters??
Yea, I know what you mean about the shifts being similar to rowing a boat.
I didn't know B&M didn't make a short shift kit for the E60. I was at a car shop and they said they had B&M ssk for the E60. I was quoted $400 for the kit and install.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by choi000' post='234932
In stock form it feels as if I am rowing a boat whenever I shift....still trying to look for a more aggressive shifter...

Yea, I know what you mean about the shifts being similar to rowing a boat.
I didn't know B&M didn't make a short shift kit for the E60. I was at a car shop and they said they had B&M ssk for the E60. I was quoted $400 for the kit and install.
[/quote]
choi...thanks for the info...i'll definitely ask my mechanic to check around.
By the way....do u guys have uneven shifter travel??? For me, gears Reverse, 1,3,5 (upper gears) have shorter shifter travel distance than lower gears....anyone experienced this??
Old 02-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Contributors

B&M Website

Did not see E60 listed though.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray/Black Leather 545i, 6SP Manual, Sport Package, Anthracite Maple Wood, Satellite Preparation. H&R coilover suspension, Radenergie 20's

I too am looking for a good SSK. I was pretty convinced with the Rogue by looking at the Bimmerworld catalog. But after seeing all your testimonies, I changed my mind. Lol. Thanks everyone for the warning. I hope B&M will have it. I guess we'll have to wait and see if its good.