E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

550i performance chips

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched but didn't see anything. I have a 08 550i and wanted to know if anyone made a chip for this car. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

ESS Tuning has a tune for the E60 550. We at ///Motorcepts will carry it.

Taken from ESS Tuning Website:

uct DescriptionESS Normal Aspiration optimized ECU software is a result of 100's of dyno runs and exact calibration of all parameters to allow maximum performance gains with improved drivability/fuel consumption and stock engine longevity.

Compatible with the following models :

-550i
-650i
-750i
-X5 4.8i

Features :

-Removed top speed governor
-Reprogrammed torque management
-Reprogrammed Valvetronic lift height
-Reprogrammed throttle response
-Reprogrammed ignition, vanos and fuel parameters for optimum operation

The software is compatible with performance cat-back exhaust systems.

Software available for both US and European specification cars.

Typical performance increase is +10-15hp with software alone on 91US/95Euro octane fuel.

When you order this product, you will receive information on how to remove your ECU for shipment to a ESS reprogramming center near you.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Members

There are a few different tunes out there available for our cars. I have ESS Tuning?s flash on my 2008 550i. After flashing, there is definitely a noticeable increase in power and torque. They claim increases of 10-15 whp with their stage 1 tune. There is also a stage 2 tune available, but you have to run 93 octane. I have not had time to dyno my car yet so I am not sure exactly how much of a difference the tune makes. All I can report is how the car ?feels?.
Other tunes available are by Powerchip and RDsport. Powerchip?s tune adds the ability to customize your tune to specific mods on your car?ie intake or exhaust. Depending on who you talk to, this may or may not make a big difference in hp. Joe at Trinity can answer more questions than I can about Powerchip. I don?t know a lot about RD?s tune. Check out their respective websites for more info.
The biggest reason I went with ESS Tuning is that their tune comes in a direct flash unit that allows me to flash back and forth between tuned and stock. With Powerchip and RD, you have to take your car to a place that can flash your car for you. It makes it more convenient when you have to take your car in for service and want the stock ECU loaded, which isn?t really important unless you need major work on your warrantied car or are paranoid like me. You can keep up to 10 tunes on the unit, although I don?t see a need for more than a few unless you track your car. They will also email you updated tunes when they become available. Using the flash unit is very easy as even someone new to this like me had no problems. Whether or not it is worth a grand is debatable. Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by brentf23
There are a few different tunes out there available for our cars. I have ESS Tuning?s flash on my 2008 550i. After flashing, there is definitely a noticeable increase in power and torque. They claim increases of 10-15 whp with their stage 1 tune. There is also a stage 2 tune available, but you have to run 93 octane. I have not had time to dyno my car yet so I am not sure exactly how much of a difference the tune makes. All I can report is how the car ?feels?.
Other tunes available are by Powerchip and RDsport. Powerchip?s tune adds the ability to customize your tune to specific mods on your car?ie intake or exhaust. Depending on who you talk to, this may or may not make a big difference in hp. Joe at Trinity can answer more questions than I can about Powerchip. I don?t know a lot about RD?s tune. Check out their respective websites for more info.
The biggest reason I went with ESS Tuning is that their tune comes in a direct flash unit that allows me to flash back and forth between tuned and stock. With Powerchip and RD, you have to take your car to a place that can flash your car for you. It makes it more convenient when you have to take your car in for service and want the stock ECU loaded, which isn?t really important unless you need major work on your warrantied car or are paranoid like me. You can keep up to 10 tunes on the unit, although I don?t see a need for more than a few unless you track your car. They will also email you updated tunes when they become available. Using the flash unit is very easy as even someone new to this like me had no problems. Whether or not it is worth a grand is debatable. Hope this helps.

Could not have said it better. There are instances that the Powerchip may need to be reflashed since the computer adapts back to it. It's weird.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Members

Supposedly the Powerchip cars that flashed back were because the person flashing their ecu was using an invalid version. So the cars would increase in hp at first, then return back to stock. At least that's how Joe explained it to me. He wants to try flashing cars correctly using Powerchip's tune in hopes to rebuild their reputation.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:50 AM
Members

so did you do the tuning and flash on your own? What is used a laptop and software sent by the company? If so i guess there is a file for stock tuning and for the upgraded tuning? Thanks for the response!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Members

also thanks for all the responses!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Members

just went to ess website, it says you remove your ECU and send it to be re flashed. Can we not do this ourself?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Members

I have the direct flash unit for the N62B48 engine (E60 550i). Ive had it for about a month now (I was one of the first to get it ). The ESS website has not been updated in a while. If you look on their website, I have the same direct flash unit that they make for the E46 and N54 engines. The unit comes with an OBDII and USB cable. What you do when you get the unit is use it to copy the stock files from your car. Then you connect the direct flash to your computer and send that file via email to ess tuning's software dept. They modify the files for you (takes about 1 day), then you copy those files onto the direct flash and write them to your car. Super easy. The only other thing you need that they dont tell you is a battery charger as it takes about a half hour to copy the stock files, then 10 mins to write the modded files. The last thing you want is your battery to die while it is writing the files.

I forgot to mention the tune that Dinan has. Im sure there are a few members here that can comment on it.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Members

I have the direct flash unit for the N62B48 engine (E60 550i). Ive had it for about a month now (I was one of the first to get it ). The ESS website has not been updated in a while. If you look on their website, I have the same direct flash unit that they make for the E46 and N54 engines. The unit comes with an OBDII and USB cable. What you do when you get the unit is use it to copy the stock files from your car. Then you connect the direct flash to your computer and send that file via email to ess tuning's software dept. They modify the files for you (takes about 1 day), then you copy those files onto the direct flash and write them to your car. Super easy. The only other thing you need that they dont tell you is a battery charger as it takes about a half hour to copy the stock files, then 10 mins to write the modded files. The last thing you want is your battery to die while it is writing the files.

I forgot to mention the tune that Dinan has. Im sure there are a few members here that can comment on it.

awesome info thank you. this is the link ess sent me.

http://www.esstuning.com/products/N6...-Software.html

Quick Reply: 550i performance chips