E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

550i Mods - Power & Performance

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ciphin
I drive a similar model 550. I have a 2008 550 with the Sport Auto transmission and Sport package. I was on a similar quest as you -- improve overall handling and performance of my car. I ended up making the following modifications to my car:
  • Dinan Free Flow Exhaust
  • Dinan High Flow Intake
  • Dinan High Flow Throttle Body
  • Dinan Carbon Fiber Front Strut Tower Brace
  • Dinan Carbon Fiber Rear Shock Tower Brace
  • Dinan Stage 1 Suspension System
  • Dinan Stage 2 Software
  • HRE Performance P40s - 19" in textured black
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires
The largest noticeable impact to performance was the Dinan Stage 2 software coupled with the Throttle Body and Intake replacement. The accelerator became much more responsive and the joy of driving the car increased exponentially. I elected to use Dinan parts as they did not void my factory warranty and Dinan backed all of their work -- whatever BMW wouldn't cover if there was a failure, Dinan would pick up the difference.

The replacement rims removed about 10 lbs from each corner on the car. And the suspension dropped the car another 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch which stiffening up the ride. The tower braces heavily reduced in corner sway. If you're familiar with Texas, we have "Texas u-turns" at almost every major intersection (http://en.wikipedia....ki/Texas_U-turn) and the car can now take one of those at 80+ mph where previously with the suspension modifications you felt uncomfortable around 40 or 50 mph.

On the track I've topped the car out around 165 mph. The car accelerated to 130 mph from zero in less than 15 seconds. The car becomes much more responsive when you put it in sport mode with the sport auto engaged. I probably shaved 4 seconds off the 0 - 130 -- getting there in approx. 11 or 12 seconds.

I've included a few pictures of my car below. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Todd

Wow ciphin, this is fantastic! Exactly the kind of upgrade insight I was hoping for, and very helpful on the warranty point. Definitely worth it to keep everything covered as I'm really not interested in logging Saturdays trying to troubleshoot.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550 -- Dinan Stage 1 (fully loaded) -------------------------------------------- 1. Dinan Free Flow Exhaust 2. Dinan High Flow Intake 3. Dinan Stage 3 Software 4. Dinan Shock Braces 5. Dinan Strut Braces 6. Dinan Throttle Body 7. Dinan Stage 1 Suspension 8. Black kidney grills 9. HRE Performance Rims (P40s in textured black) 10. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires

I've dug up a couple more pictures for you -- not many on my work machine. The first image you can see the air intake system -- filter box on the right and new carbon fiber tubing in the front against the rad. You can also see the replacement sway bar behind the engine against the firewall. The second image shows you the new sway bar installed in the trunk.

Todd

Old 05-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Members

Open diff!!?? These cars were almost $70k and they put open diff!?

My 97 Camaro has a limited slip!

Why would BMW put open diffs on these cars?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Members

Wouldn't cost you less to sell and buy an M5?
If I wanted car for auto crosses and other sport events - I would go for M3.
5 series BMW's are not really a sport sedans anymore - they are big and comfortable limousines.. sure people race camels ...

Friend bought 528 and started upgrading towards M5... after $60+k added in components and mods car had pretty much everything from M5 except engine was still 528 with dual blower and similar power to M5 .... but it was still modified 528 not M5... It would be likely cheaper to buy M5 and add blower to make it close to 700HP...
Old 05-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

The answer is simple: you are in NYC, that means you need to contact John@Motorcepts (member here - Motorcepts shop is in Ridgewood, Queens) and see what he can do for you to meet your needs/budget.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by porando
5 series BMW's are not really a sport sedans anymore - they are big and comfortable limousines.. sure people race camels ...

Friend bought 528 and started upgrading towards M5... after $60+k added in components and mods car had pretty much everything from M5 except engine was still 528 with dual blower and similar power to M5 .... but it was still modified 528 not M5... It would be likely cheaper to buy M5 and add blower to make it close to 700HP...
That is what I have been saying about S/C upgrades on my car for a while now - no matter how much money I throw at it, it still won't be an M. Best solution is to wait, save, then buy an M5.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ottac
Thanks west. How is the supercharger working out for you, btw?
You're welcome sir. The supercharger is working out fine. No problems yet.

Please share some pics of the 528. Would love to see them.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I would put a camel against a horse anyday. A camel goes just as fast and will not tire like a horse. With that said, I too would just get the M5 than to dump money in a 550
Old 05-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i, Ducati 748

If he had a 6 cly car I would agree, But he bought the right car. True after supercharging his car he will be close to the cost of an M5 but maintenance is still less, insurance is less and he then has a unique, fun car.

Get an LSD and S/C
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Members

What options are available for LSD swap for these cars?

I still cant believe this isnt standard option for these expensive ass cars... rediculous.

Quick Reply: 550i Mods - Power & Performance