E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

550i front bumper replacement - questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 550i front bumper replacement - questions

I need to replace my front bumper, 2007 550i sport with PDC.

I looked at a number of threads and did some research online but have a couple questions or need some experiences.

- Is DIY fairly straight forward given I do have good mechanical skills? I am an avid DIY and do all maintenance on this car...e.g. I replace brakes including rotors etc.

- It appears the main players are OEM, Trinity and Umnitza...others to consider? ebay has some...but wary of them. OEM is $$$$?

- I could replace OEM style or use M5tech and Mtech. Thoughts on if I am only replacing the front not sides nor rear? or is this basically just personal preference on appearance. I do have OEM fogs that I never use because of the halogen yellow color...but do they transfer over or should I change to other fogs? or no fogs? (depends on style choice I imagine)

- PDC appears to be fun...I have talked to some that want me to drill my own holes or use a shop. that removes the DIY aspect..I will not be drilling my own holes. So that has to be a part of the decision process. Drilled but also accurately done.

- Getting this painted...it appears with an aftermarket bumper it is prudent to test fit before getting painted? That would leave me with a car with no front bumper while it is being painted..not ideal. Experiences here?

- Paint match - I have Alpine White...if a body shop paints it Alpine White..does it match a 2007 car? Or do i take in the car for them to check and custom adjust/match? Or do I just ask the body shop these questions....

Thanks for any assistance or experiences.

Jim
Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 530i with some mods

Given the age of your car.. I'd highly recomend brining your car in to a body shop so they can match up the paint.. I've heard Alpine White shades can be slightly different especially after a few years. Trinity is a great resource for aftermarket bumpers.. From what I've seen the fitment is pretty darn good 8-9/10. But nothing fits like an OEM bumper. For the price difference, aftermarket is the way to go.. The only downside is that there are no aftermarket splitters for the aftermarket bumpers. So if you plan on buying a splitter, you'd probably have to pony up for an OEM M-Tech.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Members

thx. I could either take the car for a match or I heard of folks taking a gas cap cover

Anyone have experience with this guy on ebay? I prefer this style...I think it is more of a Mtech, but I am more curious on the validity. $400 delivered with PDC holes and fogs (of questionable worth) is a fair price. IF the fit is good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171145505525?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA
I need to replace my front bumper, 2007 550i sport with PDC.

I looked at a number of threads and did some research online but have a couple questions or need some experiences.

- Is DIY fairly straight forward given I do have good mechanical skills? I am an avid DIY and do all maintenance on this car...e.g. I replace brakes including rotors etc.
Very easy as far as doing it. brakes are harder AND messier.

- It appears the main players are OEM, Trinity and Umnitza...others to consider? ebay has some...but wary of them. OEM is $$$$?

https://5series.net/forums/vendor-classifieds-36/%95%95%FC%95%95-umnitza-com-not-black-friday-sale-e60-m5tech-$330-shipped-136582/

- I could replace OEM style or use M5tech and Mtech. Thoughts on if I am only replacing the front not sides nor rear? or is this basically just personal preference on appearance. I do have OEM fogs that I never use because of the halogen yellow color...but do they transfer over or should I change to other fogs? or no fogs? (depends on style choice I imagine)

Feel free to give us a call, we can go over all the options. but we recommend the M5tech.

- PDC appears to be fun...I have talked to some that want me to drill my own holes or use a shop. that removes the DIY aspect..I will not be drilling my own holes. So that has to be a part of the decision process. Drilled but also accurately done.

If we prepaint, we can pre-drill the holes. It's not hard to do at all.

- Getting this painted...it appears with an aftermarket bumper it is prudent to test fit before getting painted? That would leave me with a car with no front bumper while it is being painted..not ideal. Experiences here?

For M5tech, they all fit fine. There is little to do on the front end other than some minor work on the fender bracket and that's easy.

- Paint match - I have Alpine White...if a body shop paints it Alpine White..does it match a 2007 car? Or do i take in the car for them to check and custom adjust/match? Or do I just ask the body shop these questions....

Alpine White is an easy paint match. Not like the Silvers that BMW has, 300/7 or 300/8 is probably your code, it's a very common white for BMWs and most shops will match it, remember to give it at least 3-4 weeks to fully cure and then it should match perfectly.

Thanks for any assistance or experiences.

Jim
Hope that helps.

EDIT: link
https://5series.net/forums/vendor-classifieds-36/%95%95%FC%95%95-umnitza-com-not-black-friday-sale-e60-m5tech-$330-shipped-136582/
Old 03-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Members

thanks. Unfortunately I prefer the MTech style.

I would need some serious measurements/template/instructions to drill my own PDC holes given the cost of a goof.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Former Vendor

Actually there are markings on the back of the bumper where the PDC needs to be drilled already, just put your PDC up to that area, and run a little marker around it.
Easiest way to do it is DIME = 18mm and QUARTER = 24mm

The Mtech is out of still for 3 weeks unless you go OEM.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Members

Thx. What is the diameter of the PDC sensor? 18 or 24mm? You drill from back and the sensor mounts from the front hiding any edges?

Thx
Old 03-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Former Vendor

If you have an 07, it's likely 24mm and yes, drill from the back and it's very simple to d