E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

545i Dinan Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Ogg
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Logic 7 Navi 2002 M5 Reps Remus Exhaust

i have the dinan intake on my 2004 545i and the TB.. i havent heard it with the dinan exhaust, but it sounds great with the remus exaust i have. a nice hum as opposed to a gas can roar.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6MT

Originally Posted by TakmaN
I would hope not!
I don't think I worded my question properly.
I looked at the S2 package which includes Intake, TB, Stage 3 and Exhaust.
It claims 354 bhp or roughly 29 bhp over stock.

The individual components yield the following:
Intake 17 bhp
TB 5 bhp
Stage 3 No numbers listed on site, but is supposed to enhance the effect of the Intake and TB.
Exhaust is listed as 6 bhp.
That adds up to 28bhp, but I would hav ethought the software tune would add more than 1 bhp in the S2 package.

In a nutshell, I would like to know what the difference is between the setup above, with stock exhaust and with Dinan exhaust.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

I would hope not! For how much the Dinan intake, throttle body and Stage 3 upgrade cost, I would imagine there has to be a gain. Most likely it won't be very noticeable, the majority being in the butt dyno. The V8s are pretty maxed out except for X amount of hp here and there with tuning, exhaust, etc. AFAIK, no aftermarket intakes have been shown to net gains on our cars except for the filter and RPi scoop combo but I could be wrong.
This topic has been discussed so many times before so I won't try to beat a dead horse again. I'm going to say this:

If you're looking for HP gain alone then it's not worth spending this much money. However, if you're looking for overall performance, if you believe that "The whole is more than the sum of its parts" then it's damned worth it.

Here is the review from Bimmer magazine of Dinan 545i:

http://www.dinancars.com/assets/File/pdf%201.pdf
Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by Tuned1
thanks, I will.
Do you know if I lose much in performance if I do the intake, TB, and Stage3, but keep stock exhaust rather than Dinan?
Stage3 SW is tuned for the TB so the exhaust has nothing do with it.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by zen68
This topic has been discussed so many times before so I won't try to beat a dead horse again. I'm going to say this:

If you're looking for HP gain alone then it's not worth spending this much money. However, if you're looking for overall performance, if you believe that "The whole is more than the sum of its parts" then it's damned worth it.

Here is the review from Bimmer magazine of Dinan 545i:

http://www.dinancars.com/assets/File/pdf%201.pdf
thanks... I'll probably do the whole setup.
Another option is obviously the Dinan parts up front with the RPI exhaust.
I wonder if the overall gain is better with the combo of Dinan and RPI vs just Dinan...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by zen68
This topic has been discussed so many times before so I won't try to beat a dead horse again. I'm going to say this:If you're looking for HP gain alone then it's not worth spending this much money. However, if you're looking for overall performance, if you believe that "The whole is more than the sum of its parts" then it's damned worth it.Here is the review from Bimmer magazine of Dinan 545i:http://www.dinancars.com/assets/File/pdf%201.pdf
I agree as far as HP gain goes, the $:HP ratio is pretty bad. And the 29hp gain is not to the wheels I would assume since member Tuned1 said earlier that hp was bumped up to 359 or something along that nature. Take off a good 20% of that and that's what you're actually getting to the wheels. Then again, not all mods can be measured in HP, there's overall drive ability, handling, etc which I'm sure the Dinan package helps. If you have that much cash lying around though why not go with the package. Then again, if you do have that much cash, why not just save for an M5.

thanks... I'll probably do the whole setup.Another option is obviously the Dinan parts up front with the RPI exhaust.I wonder if the overall gain is better with the combo of Dinan and RPI vs just Dinan...
I would imagine they would be close. Not sure about the Dinan but the RPI is only axle back. I assume the Dinan is the same. There's only so much power to be had from an axle back exhaust.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Members

I would imagine they would be close. Not sure about the Dinan but the RPI is only axle back. I assume the Dinan is the same. There's only so much power to be had from an axle back exhaust.
yeah...not sure why they are not cat back...
Old 05-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

yeah...not sure why they are not cat back...
Becuase there is no need to go cat back and the pipe would be very long and be a bitch to ship driving up costs. The OEM pipe coming out of the cat is BIG and almost completely straight which means not much opportunity for improved performance.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by mhs525
Becuase there is no need to go cat back and the pipe would be very long and be a bitch to ship driving up costs. The OEM pipe coming out of the cat is BIG and almost completely straight which means not much opportunity for improved performance.
Agreed. Although if you go header back all catless, I'm sure you can pull a pretty decent amount of power .