E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

545i being Dinan S1'd

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 05:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Have to check out that baby in one of our meets soooon i hope.......
Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Below are some pics...

The only thing I'd add to my review is that achievable fuel mileage seems to have gone up just a bit. I set the cruise control on 70 and on rolling hills was somewhere around 29. Time will tell whether I see any overall improvement. I'll probably be driving it a bit harder than I had been now that it drives like a real sports car...
Attached Thumbnails 545i being Dinan S1'd-img_0168-corrected.jpg   545i being Dinan S1'd-img_0172.jpg   545i being Dinan S1'd-img_0171.jpg   545i being Dinan S1'd-img_0173.jpg   545i being Dinan S1'd-img_0176.jpg  

Old 02-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
Just following up after my initial impressions. I've had now a 100 mile drive to CT today. My initial impressions are still I think valid - I wouldn't revise anything. I have further reaction on the strut brace. It is hard to say for sure as I can't now drive the car without it back to back, but I seem to feel less shake through the steering column when going over pavement imperfections, particularly when in a relatively high-g turn. The car seems to be more settled and precise.

I had them box up all of the old parts for me, and I took a look at the old strut brace. The stock unit is really a cheap thing. I was able to easily bend it with my bare hands - cheap enough that I am fairly surprised they'd put something like that on a $60k+ car. I'll post a picture of the Dinan unit installed tomorrow. It is really quite beefy looking. They used to say that these things were just engine jewelry; I don't think so any more, at least with the new cars with aluminum front ends.

I've noticed that at normal highway speeds the exhaust sound just blends into a nice quiet hum. There is a very slight resonance at about 1800 RPM or so. Not loud, and may go away in time as things settle in. REALLY love the look of the tips. They are staggered and follow the line of the rear apron. Again, will post pictures tomorrow.
I am a Dinan fan but I installed the racing dynamics strut brace recently. I too had herd the "strut brace = Jewelry" references, one poster said they would get one when they start tracking their car (meaning never) but I noticed a difference the first time I drove the car. The turn in was much improved, even with snow tires. Looking forward to the spring !!!!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mhs525
I am a Dinan fan but I installed the racing dynamics strut brace recently. I too had herd the "strut brace = Jewelry" references, one poster said they would get one when they start tracking their car (meaning never) but I noticed a difference the first time I drove the car. The turn in was much improved, even with snow tires. Looking forward to the spring !!!!
That's a nice looking unit! The more I drive the car in different situations the more I notice it. Things are just crisper, and the vibrations up the steering column from all bumps, but particularly those during harder cornering, seem to be a higher frequency, as if things are stiffer. Looking forward to the suspension update to bring it all together.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by mhs525
Marty,

May I ask what makes you pick racing dynamics strut brace over Dinan?

Thanks,
Lee
Old 02-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zen68
Marty,

May I ask what makes you pick racing dynamics strut brace over Dinan?

Thanks,
Lee
Hey Lee,

I picked the Racing Dynamics brace because it works with the OEM brace and connects the strut towers. This set up creates a triangle similar to what you will see in some road racing cars. The best set up is probably the Dinan piece, that replaces the OEM unit and is stronger, combined with the Racing Dynamics piece. The Dinan brace might go on my wish list

Hope all is well

Marty

By the way, you have the best Avatar !!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

^^^ Thanks buddy!
Old 02-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

looking good
Old 02-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

looking good, now all we need is a good video!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:07 AM
Senior Members

Ok, so resurrecting this thread because I finally got the suspension installed along with the intake and exhaust work that was done months ago.

Ride: significantly on small pavement imperfections over the stock sport suspension. I believe this has to do with the modified bump stops. When they were doing the work, they found a shipping block in one of the rear springs. This hard plastic unit was effectively increasing spring rates on one of the rear corners, which couldn't be good for anything. New suspension is very refined - controlled over everything I've thrown at it.

Cornering: The thing is now very very flat when cornering at almost any speed. Very well controlled over pavement heaves and bumps. Very easy to be smooth and things are much more immediately reactive to inputs.

Appearance: Definitely a subtle change, but I'd say there is about a .5" drop from the sport suspension. It is noticeable, but not ridiculous. Would look better with a set of ultra-light Dinan wheels on there, but for now sticking with my stock 124's.

Overall the experience of this vehicle has now been very much enhanced. It has moved the car from being a pleasantly quick luxury sedan into a true sports car, with both the sounds and driving experience that I've always expected of a BMW. The entire vehicle now has much more personality, and connects much more emotionally. It really is what the sports package should have been from the factory, although the sounds are probably a little aggressive - perfect for me though.

Will post pictures asap showing the new ride height.

Quick Reply: 545i being Dinan S1'd