E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

535i Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Real quick here. I plan to purchase an exhaust in the next days. So far I am leaning very hard towards the Billy Boat axle back. I've seen the videos posted by another forum member and I think it sounds nice. There are a few more out there that I am looking at as well. ACG, Magnaflow and Dinan. Does anyone here have any experience with these or perhaps another exhaust?

What I am looking for is a sound that is not resonating in the car when you are cruising on a road at 35-45 or out on the interstate at 70 or so. An exhaust that is a little louder but not one that generously provides you with a gift each time you drive, a headache... I drove an M3 once that had one and it was extremely annoying! When you get on it, yes, a nice sound is what I am looking for.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Follow up: I just ordered the exhaust from Dinan, got a VERY good deal!
Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Car

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Nice. I've been running a Dinan for 18 months or so and am very happy with it. At first there was the drone but it went away as the muffler broke itself in. Its definitely not as aggressive sounding as the others I've heard (RPI, Magnaflow, and B, but it sounds more exotic than the others.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by tonyb635

So you went with the dinan as opposed to the BB exhaust. Now im curious about the dinan! Youtube here i come.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 M3

Originally Posted by corey
Nice. I've been running a Dinan for 18 months or so and am very happy with it. At first there was the drone but it went away as the muffler broke itself in. Its definitely not as aggressive sounding as the others I've heard (RPI, Magnaflow, and B, but it sounds more exotic than the others.
Do you by chance have any audio of video clips of your car with the Dinan?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dinan ewww too quiet for me, was it an axle back? Post a sound clip!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Yes, it's an axle back. I'm not looking for anything loud, just a little better sound. I will post a sound clip once it arrives and I install.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

please try/attempt/remember to post topics in appropriate sections...

thread moved to the part, mods, and accessories section....
Old 09-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

I got the exhaust in a few days ago and thought I would install it yesterday evening. Like I said, thought... After get the car in position and marking everything I attempted to cut the exhaust pipe using a cutoff wheel. I figure this would go pretty easy. After a few minutes I realize this was not going to happen and I needed someone with the proper tools or torch! The exhaust pipe is very strong and this 4" cutoff wheel didn't stand a chance! Friday morning I'll take her down to the muffler shop and let someone do this for me. I'll get a few sound clips before and after for those that had contacted me wanting to hear the difference. I figured the best way would be to post a clip of the before and after sound instead of just the after sound. Hope that make sense. This way if my iphone doesn't pick up the sound well at least it would be the same on both and hopefully one can draw a conclusion from the difference. Should get them posted early next week.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 M3

Thanks for the update....I'm very interested in hearing the before and after clips.

Quick Reply: 535i Exhaust