E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

530xi Lowering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

Hey, since the xi is limited to alot of parts (especially the m5 rims) :/ I want to know which is the best way to go to lower my car ... coilovers are priced way too high lol the only springs I found was the H&R lowering springs (does anyone know where I can get them cheap?) or have an alternative brand I could use that's better than H&R? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Krazi Bluntz
Hey, since the xi is limited to alot of parts (especially the m5 rims) :/ I want to know which is the best way to go to lower my car ... coilovers are priced way too high lol the only springs I found was the H&R lowering springs (does anyone know where I can get them cheap?) or have an alternative brand I could use that's better than H&R? Thanks.
Nope those are your 2 options. I hear the roads suck in NY, in that case I wouldn't look at springs. The coils will give you a good ride but they are noisy. I would just leave it personally. I'm running H&R on my XI and they are working well for me but all our roads are pretty new around here.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Noise in the coilovers can be solved as far as I know... youtube "KW coilover noise" - as long as you use the second cap (or whatever its called), you should be just fine.

I personally am planning to replace most of the mounts (and all the "rubbers" I can find upgrades for ) when I get the coilovers put on. Also, I'll be looking for some stronger control arms etc.

Calton, anything you'd like to add?

Lastly, DO NOT GET THE SPRINGS ALONE - your ride will be ruined
Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

I'm in process of ordering the KW's for my car right now. Since the sport package XI's don't have the real sport suspension, I figured I wouldn't be happy with H&R springs and stock shocks. I don't really need the adjustability of the V3's, but it's the only option for the ugly, read-headed stepchild known as the XI

I'll let you know how it goes regarding the squeak/rattle. I'm praying that I can minimize it (or not have it all). I'll be putting 19's on at the same time, so we'll see how everything works out.

Let's keep the information flowing - us XI members need to help each other out!

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Noise in the coilovers can be solved as far as I know... youtube "KW coilover noise" - as long as you use the second cap (or whatever its called), you should be just fine.

I personally am planning to replace most of the mounts (and all the "rubbers" I can find upgrades for ) when I get the coilovers put on. Also, I'll be looking for some stronger control arms etc.

Calton, anything you'd like to add?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown
I'm in process of ordering the KW's for my car right now. Since the sport package XI's don't have the real sport suspension, I figured I wouldn't be happy with H&R springs and stock shocks. I don't really need the adjustability of the V3's, but it's the only option for the ugly, read-headed stepchild known as the XI

I'll let you know how it goes regarding the squeak/rattle. I'm praying that I can minimize it (or not have it all). I'll be putting 19's on at the same time, so we'll see how everything works out.

Can't wait to see how this works out for you! When do you figure you will have them installed by? If you can get it done with minimal noise this will be on my car once my shocks start to go.

Now, how can I make them blow out fastest?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown

Nice! Its gonna look and drive excellent, man! I am sure of it. Just be sure you get the coilovers installed at a professional shop and align the car once the suspension sets.

Also, when I contacted KW about the noise, they said to just call them directly about it (which I never did ), so it seems like they'll never abandon their customers and will work with you to eliminate any issues

Originally Posted by D33ZNUT5
Now, how can I make them blow out fastest?
I know how - send 2000 to KW

Those coilovers will blow your shocks off immediately
Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

Originally Posted by v_therussian
So, if I get the H&R springs what else should I get? My car has about 35,000 miles on it so the suspenion is pretty good for now ... and Yeah the roads in new york aren't the best streets to drive on especially since I live in one of the 5 boroughs but I can't have the car that high lol
Old 02-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Contributors

So, if I get the H&R springs what else should I get? My car has about 35,000 miles on it so the suspenion is pretty good for now ... and Yeah the roads in new york aren't the best streets to drive on especially since I live in one of the 5 boroughs but I can't have the car that high lol
One of the five boroughs huh? People usually say this when they're from SI or Q

Dude, honestly, there's nothing out there that is public information that works with the H&R springs. That is why I'm getting the coilovers eventually. You know what H&R's do - I know you've been reading up on stuff - you'll be bouncing like some low-budget low-rider... well, ok, maybe not as bad as I'm making it sound, but it will ruin the ride. I was gonna tell you to try looking through OEM replacement struts/shocks, but I'm sure others have tried and failed there. However, if you're truly persistent and succeed at finding an alternative to the coilovers, then you're still stuck with trying it out on your own car, at your own expense... basically, there is no going around it - coilovers are necessary to do the drop right.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Feel free to let me know if you need my help. I was the first E60 XI owner in the US to have the H&R Springs. Happy to offer advice if you need it.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Senior Members

They don't make aftermarket shocks for our cars to go with the H&R's. Those are truly your only 2 options springs only or coils.

Like I said before I have the springs and they work great for me 90% of them time (on good roads). On the crappy roads it sucks so I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Quick Reply: 530xi Lowering Questions