E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

530 XI Suspension Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

Spring is almost here, had my first real fun day in the snow with my 530XI today and now I'm looking forward to doing some suspension modifications. Does anyone have any experience modifying their 530XI? I thought a few members were looking at some H&R goodies. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Well, I'm known for being agaist mods.

Why spoil a great suspension?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by beemerdreamer' post='391505' date='Feb 14 2007, 01:04 PM
Spring is almost here, had my first real fun day in the snow with my 530XI today and now I'm looking forward to doing some suspension modifications. Does anyone have any experience modifying their 530XI? I thought a few members were looking at some H&R goodies. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Hey Beemerdreamer - The only company that makes springs for our xi is Hamann. You can't just order standard 530i springs for our car. They won't work and will screw up the AWD system. I was told clearly by H&R to NOT order these springs, even though TireRack's site says you can. This is a MISTAKE.

Hamann springs are essentially H&R springs, but the downside is, you can't order these from H&R direct. You have to order them direct from Hamann. Don't ask me why...

If you want, I can send you the guys info that I was dealing with at Hamann. I was on the verge of buying these direct from him. Total, with shipping, was around $630 US for these springs. It's a hefty price to pay for just springs, but this is our only option for now. As for H&R releasing their "xi" springs, which is the thread I started last year, they aren't going to do it. I think they want to see the demand in sales from Hamann first, before they go to production. I'd also have to believe that not a lot of "xi" owners are modders, so the rationale for spending the money on production just isn't there.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='391512' date='Feb 14 2007, 01:16 PM
Well, I'm known for being agaist mods.

Why spoil a great suspension?
You are right, it is a great suspension! I want to lower my ride a little and figured I would see if there are any mods to make it even better.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

I agree, the XI, including mine, needs to be lowered.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

If you wanna go for the distance, I think Bilstein PSS9 also available for our XI model, it offers fully adjustable height & damper in a coilover configuration. As you said when Spring arrive you can lower it to fit an 18" or 19" wheel setup and when Winter arrive slap back the original 17" w/ a set of good snow tires & raise it back yourself to the original XI stand (or more) for a good clearance.

Originally Posted by beemerdreamer' post='391505' date='Feb 14 2007, 12:04 PM
Old 02-14-2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Members

who says us xi guys don't like to mod? LOL

Man those are both 2 very pricey choices for just springs. I guess becasue they come with a Hamann sticker on them.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='391563' date='Feb 14 2007, 04:03 PM
If you wanna go for the distance, I think Bilstein PSS9 also available for our XI model, it offers fully adjustable height & damper in a coilover configuration. As you said when Spring arrive you can lower it to fit an 18" or 19" wheel setup and when Winter arrive slap back the original 17" w/ a set of good snow tires & raise it back yourself to the original XI stand (or more) for a good clearance.
I just called Bilstein direct and asked them about this. If you go on their site and plug in a 2006 BMW 530xi and use the second "530xi" choice (not sure why there are 2, unless it's for the wagon, but it doesn't specify), a suspension system DOES come up for our car. Don't plug in a 2007...nothing comes up at all. However, if you check out the drop downs below the product image for the cars that it works on, it states it works for the standard cars as well. This is why I think this is a mistake. Anyway, I spoke to a guy named Scott McDonald at Bilstein East. He said this is possibly a mistake and understood my concerns with the AWD system versus RWD, when it comes to suspension kits. He is going to double check with the head of engineering and get back to me on email. As soon as he does, I'll let you guys know.

Keep your fingers crossed!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Contributors

OK guys...Bilstein got back to me. Here's their exact email to me:

"I received information back from our engineering group stating that they have NOT tested the PSS9 kit on the Xi and as a result cannot confirm the fitment on the all wheel drive model. I have requested our website be updated to reflect this. I apologize for any confusion it may have created. Hopefully we will have something in the future. Right now I would not expect to see anything within the next 6 months."

Thanks for the interest in Bilstein.

Scott MacDonald
Eastern Regional Manager
ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America

Totally sucks!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Try check w/ quad_m, rumor has it it will work... maybe he already tested it...

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='392009' date='Feb 15 2007, 03:39 PM
OK guys...Bilstein got back to me. Here's their exact email to me:

"I received information back from our engineering group stating that they have NOT tested the PSS9 kit on the Xi and as a result cannot confirm the fitment on the all wheel drive model. I have requested our website be updated to reflect this. I apologize for any confusion it may have created. Hopefully we will have something in the future. Right now I would not expect to see anything within the next 6 months."

Thanks for the interest in Bilstein.

Scott MacDonald
Eastern Regional Manager
ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America

Totally sucks!

Quick Reply: 530 XI Suspension Mods