E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

2nd Set of Mods With Pics - Full Plate Now On!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Second Set of mods is now complete on the car. For a link to the first set, see below. It included Mtec V3's, HID Fogs, and Interior LED's.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/126...1#entry1467900

This set of mods was about as far as I can go before needing to do body work, and at that point I will either do that or start modding the engine. I am a big fan of motor tuning, but this still has alot of warranty on it, so front and rear bumper kits may come first.

This set of mod's included new roundel's front & rear along with the wheels, new matte black grill, and smoked LED side markers. All items came from Trinity and Nerwyll was great to work with - BIG THANKS!!

Hood and Trunk Roundels - The roundel's from Trinity look great - I went with Carbon Fiber and they look awesome. Zero complaints about these! Overall this project was about a 1 or 1.5. Really pretty simple. I used the credit card method and just worked an old one in between the gap on the hood and the roundel and just kept working it around until the roundel popped out. I then waxed underneath and popped the new one in. Really simple and for the look this is a great mod!! I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a quick return with little investment in time or money. Truck was the same way, and same rating. Both were great mods!

Wheel Roundels - Just used a suction cup to pull the old ones our and pop the new ones in. A one rating for difficultly if that. In fact, I had my wife following me around popping the new ones in as I popped the old ones out. Took less then two mins for the entire car. Looks great as well. The black and silver of both really work well with my black car.

Smoked LED Side Markers - Only complaint on this mod is that the new side marker does not come with a factory style connection - not a big issue, just need to use the wires and push them into the factory vehicle connector, then tape as best you can to prevent a short between the wires. Before taping however, make sure you have the correct polarity connected via a quick lock/unlock with the key fob to make sure they light up. Once done, then just reinstall. The quality of the molding is as good as OE - i.e. really good!! With a black car this mod looks great and I would highly reccomend.

Matte Black Grill - The quality of the replacement grills is great - excellent molding with no parting lines is visible areas. A really good part for sure. I know their is another thread on here debating what type of grills look best with a black car. I can say that I played around mixing in the factory chrome rings with the new matte black fins, matte black rings with chrome fins, and all matte black. For me the best look was all matte black. I think either all matte black or all gloss black, but no more Chrome for me. I prefer the matte black to gloss currently, but I can only imagine gloss since I dont have a set. The mattes will be staying for a while! The mod itself wasnt difficult was you get up the courage to realize you can really pull on the factory one without breaking anything. I tried to puss it out at first, and then after abit decided to Chuck Norris it then all was well. As others have stated, start by pushing down on the top three clips, get the top loose, and then pull like the dickens while pulling up on the bottom two thru the grill. It will come out, it will sound like stuff broke, and you will freak out the first time you hear it come out, but all is well. Once the first one is out, dont put the new one in, instead, use the giant hole now available to assist in removing the second grill. Then just pop the new one in! Overall a 2 - 2.5 difficulty rating. In terms of reward, money well spent to change the entire attitude of the front end I think!

The complete mod list to date is now;
From Motorcepts (Thanks John!)
Mtec V3's for AE's
HID Fogs
New 6000k Low Beams
Full LED Interior
LED License Plate

From Trinity (Thanks Nerwyll)
Carbon Fiber Hood, Truck and Wheel Roundels
Matte Black Grille
Smoke LED Side Markers

Now for the pics - this was not a photoshoot, so please excuse the quality. You can see in a few the reflection of myself and my 2.5 year old son - he was a champ during the process and only put fingerprints on 80% of the freshly cleaned body panels!!

First one shows the Mtec's - sun is kinda in back of me taking the pic, and you can see the outer ring is washed out, however, looks way, way better then the stock puke yellow and at night it looks great.

Second one showing the grille, fogs, and AE's. I know they fogs and the lows look blue, but is an effect of the exposure on the camera. They are pretty white in real life. You can also see the carbon fiber hood roundel.

The rear of the car showing the truck roundel

A pretty cool angle for the front - would have looked so much better had I pulled away from the building - I know!!

Same one but in black and white - one of my fav's of the car so far

So far it has been fun I have owned the car for just about a month now. Not sure what will come next, but I am sure this page will help me do it!! A big thanks again to both John and Nerwyll, but were awesome to work with.

If anyone wants pics of the LED interior let me know and I can snap a few when it gets abit darker out.

JD
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Members

I like everything except the cf roundels but that's because I prefer the oem ones. the black grill looks pretty cool on your black car.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking great! Awesome round of mods.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Members

This looks nicer than I expected from the list of mods.
Really sharp and clean.

Agree with above: I'm not always into the black grill but I think it looks great on your ride
Old 09-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Looking good.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Members

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I am really thinking of blacking out the silver trim around the window's - I see it called shadow line trim - I think. Need to do some more research on it.

JD