E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

20x9 fitment with coils.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

will these big heavy wheels wreck my transmission/clutch or rear diff? the car is a 6 speed so im hoping smooth shifts will keep it working nicely.. but i know these are heavy.
the car is going to be getting new drill/slotted rotors and hawk pads to help stop these bad boys.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by Bill109
will these big heavy wheels wreck my transmission/clutch or rear diff? the car is a 6 speed so im hoping smooth shifts will keep it working nicely.. but i know these are heavy.
the car is going to be getting new drill/slotted rotors and hawk pads to help stop these bad boys.
How heavy are the wheels you getting? The stock 124's are already almost 30 lbs. With heavier wheels you'll lose acceleration and have a slightly longer stopping distance. The rotor /pad upgrade will help the braking aspect though. Unless these wheels are like +50 lbs your diff should be fine.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
How heavy are the wheels you getting? The stock 124's are already almost 30 lbs. With heavier wheels you'll lose acceleration and have a slightly longer stopping distance. The rotor /pad upgrade will help the braking aspect though. Unless these wheels are like +50 lbs your diff should be fine.
the varsstoen es1's are about 35 ea.. they are huge. 20x9 and 20x10
im not concerned about acceleration. its all show haha. ill get in trouble with speed
Old 01-31-2014, 10:06 AM
New Members

I run basically the same set up as Booyaazaa on mine, lowered on KW v2, except my wheels are Vossen CV4. My car is relatively low , but not slammed and the wheels 20x9 +20 with a 10mm spacer in the front. I am currently running 1.2 degrees of camber in the front and I get the occasional rub going over dips, but it is very minimal and there is no sign of damage on the tire as a result of this. I previously ran 1.4 degrees of camber and had no issues on the same set up and will be returning to that once I get my car aligned again. I may also try running a 5 or 8mm spacer instead of the 10mm to match the rear a bit more closely. I would encourage you to go for wheels as light as possible, 35 lbs per wheel is pretty heavy. Lowering your unsprung weight will make a huge difference in terms of acceleration, braking and handling. GL with your set up.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by FishSticks
I run basically the same set up as Booyaazaa on mine, lowered on KW v2, except my wheels are Vossen CV4. My car is relatively low , but not slammed and the wheels 20x9 +20 with a 10mm spacer in the front. I am currently running 1.2 degrees of camber in the front and I get the occasional rub going over dips, but it is very minimal and there is no sign of damage on the tire as a result of this. I previously ran 1.4 degrees of camber and had no issues on the same set up and will be returning to that once I get my car aligned again. I may also try running a 5 or 8mm spacer instead of the 10mm to match the rear a bit more closely. I would encourage you to go for wheels as light as possible, 35 lbs per wheel is pretty heavy. Lowering your unsprung weight will make a huge difference in terms of acceleration, braking and handling. GL with your set up.
thanks for the info. im guessing, if i go up on suspension ill be bale to fit these without a spacer.. the owner currently does.
heres a side pic of the car they are coming off to show the ride height of the car.
its by no means slammed but it still looks lowered. my car is a daily driver, i by no means need the speed or fast acceleration ha. its just a cruiser! i know the 20's will be heavy.. but im expecting it. shes a slow and low machine but damn this pic is sexy. i cant wait for these wheels next wek.
Name:  IMG_3446.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  13.6 KB
Old 02-03-2014, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 W211
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Bill109
thanks for the info. im guessing, if i go up on suspension ill be bale to fit these without a spacer.. the owner currently does.
heres a side pic of the car they are coming off to show the ride height of the car.
its by no means slammed but it still looks lowered. my car is a daily driver, i by no means need the speed or fast acceleration ha. its just a cruiser! i know the 20's will be heavy.. but im expecting it. shes a slow and low machine but damn this pic is sexy. i cant wait for these wheels next wek.
that's a good look right there. makes me really miss my E60
Old 02-03-2014, 06:17 PM
New Members

this isn't based on the wheel but more so your coilover.. my Bilstein PSS clear my 20x9 +24 in the front by 2mm, but i'm running a spacer for aesthetic reasons.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jameshuang86
this isn't based on the wheel but more so your coilover.. my Bilstein PSS clear my 20x9 +24 in the front by 2mm, but i'm running a spacer for aesthetic reasons.
ive been thinking this..
however after talking to a few other people the seller of these wheels mentioned going up with the suspension... it makes sense. wheels should be here by the end of the week or early next week and it will be make or break for these wheels.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Make sure you post some pics when you get this thang together. Is the set brand new?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Make sure you post some pics when you get this thang together. Is the set brand new?
will do man! the set is two months old. tires still have about 80% life in them left. i feel like i got a great price on the wheels with tires. he was just looking for something different. wish i could post videos, the video the seller took to show the stretch on these is damn perfect.
ive got boxes of parts ready to go for when the weather warms up..
the varrstoens, lci headlights, m rockers.
i cant wait!

Quick Reply: 20x9 fitment with coils.?